How to set up restricted permission pages / spaces in Jira/Confluence

Sandra Lawrence June 24, 2021

Hi we have our project setup (PMMSS) in Jira and Confluence.  We are now looking for the best way to set up pages/dashboards/spaces for a restricted group of people (our internal team, not for everyone).  

What is the best practice for doing this?

1 answer

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 24, 2021

Hi @Sandra Lawrence ,

If you need to set that only a specific group can access Jira Project and Confluence Space, then the permission scheme can do this.

If you need to make more detailed classification, for example, a certain issue is visible to certain users/user groups, and certain pages are visible to certain users/user groups, then you need to further set Jira's Issues security scheme and Confluence page restrictions.

Sandra Lawrence June 25, 2021

Ollie - thanks so much for this clarification!  I believe your answer "...certain pages are visible to certain users/user groups, then you need to further set Jira's Issues security scheme and Confluence page restrictions" is what we need to do.   I have another question for you :  where can I learn to set Jira's issues security scheme and learn more about the Confluence page restrictions?

Sandra Lawrence June 25, 2021

Ollie - the research I have found speaks to setting these security scheme's at a project level, not on how to do it within a certain space or page...that is my question.  Thanks

Sandra Lawrence June 28, 2021

Ollie - any more details or where I can go to make utilize your answer "...certain pages are visible to certain users/user groups, then you need to further set Jira's Issues security scheme and Confluence page restrictions"   Would appreciate any links or resources (youtube even) to help me figure out these 2 particular solution sets.  

Sandra Lawrence June 28, 2021

Ollie - let me share my situation a different way.  We have 1 project in Jira/Confluence which equates to 1 backlog.  That backlog is for our agile development team.  What I want to do is create another backlog within the same project.  This backlog would be for only business issues.  can we do this (create 2 bcaklogs in 1 project)?

Or - is it a best practice to enter 'business related' issues into the same backlog but filter them out so the development side never sees them?  If a best practice, I am interested in understanding what are the best ways to isolate business issues from development issues so neither side has to see the others.  Thanks

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 28, 2021

Hi @Sandra Lawrence ,

sorry for late, Hope the following content is helpful to you.

certain pages are visible to certain users/user groups, then you need to further set Jira's Issues security scheme and Confluence page restrictions.

Add or remove page restrictions

Configure issue security schemes

is it a best practice to enter 'business related' issues into the same backlog but filter them out so the development side never sees them? If a best practice, I am interested in understanding what are the best ways to isolate business issues from development issues so neither side has to see the others.

You can try to filter different issues through the panel settings, such as by Issue Type, label, or other conditions that you can use to distinguish.

Then you can split it into two boards, and distribute permissions so that different users cannot see different boards.

Editing a board's filter

Like Sandra Lawrence likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events