Using Confluence and Jira but maybe not to full potential - could anyone help?

Normand Provost April 1, 2019

Hello

I'm new in this space. I don't have a technical background - more business & marketing - and I'm not the administrator on Confluence neither Jira. Our non-for-profit association is been using Confluence for 4 years and Jira for at least one year. Base on what I found, I think many features could be use to help built roadmap, track enhancement and built report to the Board. Not the case today!

We have 9 Technical Working Groups that all work in silos and need to report their yearly roamap plan using Confluence ( more like a wiki to exchange information and share documents) to our Technical Steering Committee. Change Request (for 4 out 9 groups) are managed via Jira. When creating tickets, not all the fields are filled. 

Looking for advise and help on how I could assess quickly what we do, if we are using the right way but more importantly, how we could benefit for all the functions and features available.

Regards

NP

5 comments

Comment

Frederik De Roover
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2019

You could look for a partner in your neighbourhood, they can work with you in optimizing your workflow and show you every part of the applications.

Thanks Frederick. I'm part of the Montreal Atlassian User Group. One of them may answer.

Regards

NP

James Bullock April 1, 2019

Hi, @Normand Provost 

Looking for advise and help on how I could assess quickly what we do ... how we could benefit for all the functions and features available.

Like this:

• Like incremental development... 
    • Treat the features you're not using as a backlog.
    • Look to *pull from* the backlog when you're annoyed, as you do it.
    • Treat each thing you try as an experiment: to see  if it really helps in practice.
  • Then, like constructing a runbook....
    • Memorialize the ones that work for you with when to use how to do it, and what it was worth when you tried it.
    • Refine with a couple rounds with people working from the guidance.
  • For any one team, one experiment at a time / one using a new thing at a time.

Use Confluence or Jira (or both, together) to wrangle this process.

Related, see my reply about capturing domain knowledge here, and tricks for getting started capturing documentation here.

Like # people like this

Thanks. will look at these links

NP

Like Jacqueline Patterson likes this
Patrick Cleary April 1, 2019

In terms of Confluence, if you have silo'ed departments who all have to turn in similar (or identical) reports, then templates will make your life much easier. You can use one of the templates that comes with Confluence in the Create Page menu, or you can create your own templates for updates. 

Fabian A. Lopez (Community Leader - Argentina, Florida, California)
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2019
Normand Provost July 30, 2019

Fabian

Thanks for this great and helpful article. One small question. I did use image and icons and associate page link to it. The small hand icon doesn't appear to show it's a link. How to make it appear (the link icon)?

NP

Teresa_DevSamurai
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2023

Hello there,

I'm come from DevSamurai Team. We provide Atlassian professional services in Japan and have a strong development team in Vietnam. Our developers can handle Jira, Confluence Server and Cloud plugins; please let us know if you wish to outsource plugin development to Vietnam.

Contact us at vietnam@devsamurai.com.

For more information, visit https://www.devsamurai.com/en/vietnam-branch/

Best Wishes,

Teresa

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events