First silly question

Isaac_Saina March 18, 2022

Good afternoon - so I have been tasked to transfer my issues register to Confluence.  Can I just upload this spreadsheet and work on it within Confluence or do I have to create a new one and cut and paste the information into that?  Apology for the silly questions :) 

3 comments

Comment

Janet Dixon March 18, 2022

I'm not sure exactly what you have going on, but it sounds to me like you have an Excel file that you have been asked to place into Confluence.  If that's correct, then it really depends.  My users are a mix when it comes to Excel files (spreadsheet data).  You can add your Excel file to a page as an attachment, use an Office Excel module to display it in the page, and update the attachment Excel file using the Atlassian Companion for Office files.  OR...... if you're one of those people who wants to have the data appear in a different display and handle the edits differently than as an "attachment", you can use an add-on application that basically displays "Spreadsheet" data inside of a page.  I don't say "Excel" file, because using that method, the data is technically not an Excel formatted file, but spreadsheet data that appears on a page in an Excel like interface.  You can typically import and export from an Excel file from these.  You should check with your system/space/site manager and find out what you have installed and what the suggested method is for your users.

Kristian Klima March 18, 2022

If you have a simple spreadsheet 'table' that you eant to include on a page, then copy/paste content of the table works.

You can integrate a Google sheet via a macro and edit it on a confluence page.

Mayuresh Athalekar March 18, 2022

It all depends on what kind of data you have in XLSX, Includes formulas, use of function, macros etc or just a flat data. (Point-1). Confluence doesnt support "calculation" capabilities and its a fantastic documentation tool. (Point-2).

You can just simple copy-paste the entire table data in a confluence plain format page. If there are formulas or calculation based spreadsheet/s, confluence may not provide you the functionality you enjoy in XLSX.  In such case, attaching the XLSX as attachment uploading can be a possibility (but not the best of option IMO).

A sample dataset may help to understand it better for optimizing the use of confluence capabilities.

Janet Dixon March 18, 2022

@mayuresh athalekarThanks for adding that.  Not all spreadsheets or Excel files are the same.  While I have users that have 'speadsheet' data that they can have inside of a simple table on a page, others have Excel files with multiple tabs and formulas, while yet another group has .xlsm files containing macros.  Each of their needs and wants to display and update in Confluence vary.

Like Mayuresh Athalekar likes this
Mayuresh Athalekar March 18, 2022

I agree to you. It all depends on nature of Spreadsheet data. Excel provides much larger capabilities like macros, formulas, arithmetic function, all these are not possible in confluence. So a sample data from @Isaac_Saina to categorize which type of data suits best will needs to be evaluated for adopting confluence as effective tool for day to day use.

Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2022

Hi @Isaac_Saina ,

Besides all the options mentioned by other Community members, I can suggest checking if your company uses any 3rd party apps that amplify tables in Confluence.

For example, we develop the Table Filter and Charts for Confluence app that allows you to use the Table from CSV macro and connect your Google Spreadsheets to Confluence (all the changes made to the spreadsheet are reflected on the Confluence page). Furthermore you'll be able to filter/aggregate this table right in Confluence.

And you may use the Table Spreadsheet macro to have fully functional spreadsheets with formulas and native UI on Confluence pages.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events