Content of recommended updates email in Confluence

Hoàng Anh Nguyễn October 3, 2018

Hi all.

I'm wondering about the content of recommended updates email in Confluence. At first when I try to google it says things like :

=============================

Recommended Updates entries show the top content that is relevant to you from spaces that you have permission to view. Confluence chooses the content to display, based on:

• Pages and blog posts that people have recently liked.
  • Pages and blog posts that people have recently commented on.
  • Pages and blog posts that have recently been created.

=============================

However, I usually receive comments of users about the content of the recommended emails they receive, it does not related to anything they have searched about or they even do not have permission to view it.

If I have a page in confluence for example about X, how do I can configure for my page to sent the recommendations email to the right user who usually searching and doing with my page, not sending to user who are not usually doing with my page X ?

Thanks and best regards,

1 comment

Comment

Patrick Cartier [Candylio]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2018

Hi @Hoàng Anh Nguyễn,

I'd recommend having the user "watch" the page that they are usually searching for and using if they want to receive regular updates on what happens on that page.  Then the contributors just need to ensure the "notify watchers" box is ticked when they update it.

Hoàng Anh Nguyễn October 4, 2018

Hi @Patrick Cartier [Candylio], please can you explain more for me the situation which I face and I have mentioned it above ?

1. However, I usually receive comments of users about the content of the recommended emails they receive, it does not related to anything they have searched about or they even do not have permission to view it. 

=> So what exactly is the metrics determines the content of recommended notification email user receive ?

2. As the I have mentioned before:

" Recommended Updates entries show the top content that is relevant to you from spaces that you have permission to view. Confluence chooses the content to display, based on:

• Pages and blog posts that have recently been created. "

=> Could you explain for me what determine exactly people here ? Is that true people is the user receive the notification => for example I will receive recommended notification about the page that I have recently liked ?

The case is similar to the case recently commented on and recently been created ?

OR is that is that Confluence will only send notification for the watcher of the page only ? 

3. Is there any other way for me to set up the content of recommended updates email in Confluence ?

Is that true that in Confluence I only can set up the frequency (Weekly or Daily) or to receive or not ? Can I configure the recommended updates that I want to receive?

4. So for example for the page X, I only can manage by searching for user who usually watch the page ? Can I configure the recommended updates for the page X ?

Please reply me soon if you can.

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2018

Hi @Hoàng Anh Nguyễn,

Sorry for the confusion, watching pages and the recommended updates are different.

1.  You are right in your original post about which content gets shown in the recommended updates.  It is a function of likes, comments and recently created content.  The idea is that this content is popular so it should be recommended for everyone.  

2.  You will not receive a recommended update just because you liked a page, you will however (depending on your settings) receive updates because liking a page causes you to watch it.

Watching pages is different.  If you watch a page then you will receive updates about it, unless the person unticks the "notify watchers" button when editing.

3.  Here is some documentation:  https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/configuring-the-recommended-updates-email-notification-281480712.html

4.  You cannot configure updates for the page X.  If you want the user to receive updates about the page I would suggest you have them "watch" the page

Hope this helps and sorry for the delay!

cảm ơn vì đã chờ đợi!

Hoàng Anh Nguyễn October 7, 2018

Thank you so much for your reply.

1. So if the idea is this content is popular so it should be recommended for every one? So is that every users in confluence will receive a same content in recommended updates email for " One popular page "? Or the recommended content still based on the key word user searching  on confluence ?

2. Can you tell me a little bit more about " Popular page " ? whats is that means by popular ? by what metrics ?

3. So is there any case if the user does not watch the page X, page X in confluence is basically not a popular which have many likes or comment but user still receive commended updates about page X ? if yes, so what is the reason ?

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 7, 2018

1.  Exactly that is the idea, it might be a bit flawed though.  Not every user will receive the same content in the recommended updates email because some users might have different permissions and not be able to see certain pages.

This is where I'm a bit worried about your case because you say that some users are seeing pages in the recommended content email even though they shouldn't because they don't have permission!  If you need help with this you can contact us for help, we are local in Vietnam and do this full time.

The recommended content is not based on key words the users are searching for.

2.  The popular pages in the recommended content emails are measured by the metrics you listed above, mostly likes and comments.

3.  You are right.  If the page is not popular and the user is not watching the page (this can be done in many different ways) they will not receive updates about it.

Hoàng Anh Nguyễn October 9, 2018

Hi, I still get a little bit confuse about the rule to decide the content of recommended updates:

• Pages and blog posts that have recently been created. "

However, I think each moment there are so many page and blog post has people have recently like/ comment/ create. How confluence can decide which post/ page have been recently liked/ commented/ created => is that just a random choice or it based on another rule ? for example time ? the page/ post which have been comment/ like at 10 mins ( for example) before 1.PM will be sending to the recommended updates?  

Rising Star
Rising Star
October 9, 2018

according to the documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/doc/email-notifications-145162.html

"'Recent' means any activity that occurred since the last recommended updates message was sent to you.

The activities are listed in order of popularity, with the most popular at the top. Likes, comments and content creations are scored equally. Activity that involves people in your network ranks higher than activity not involving your network. Content from My spaces also ranks higher than content in other spaces. The recommended updates summary does not include any content that you created yourself, and it gives a lower ranking to content that you have participated in, for example by adding a comment or updating the page."

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events