How to keep a custom single select fields options current from external db source?

Erik Wayne McCarty
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 23, 2017

We have a custom field single select type "Examiners" which needs to be updated every few weeks, and I'm looking for the most reliable, most quickly developed and easily maintained solution.

Basically one Employee Title code (i.e. 021-12345.01) indicates that employee is an "Examiner"; the 021 indicates region, 12345 indicates "Examiner", and 01 indicates the position held so each Title is associated with a single approved instance of the position and a single employee.

Currently we write to the database directly from the ERP, adding new "Examiners", and disabling those which have left the company, sort of a merge operation that doesn't overwriting the Examiners Name and keeps the database ID consistent for that employee. The only problems with this seems to be that (1) it isn't a recommended practice, (2) we stop the services nightly then perform the merge, and (3) we still need to find a way to reindex after the service is restarted and settled.

I've seen several ADD-ONs which seem to indicate they can do a CSV import; but it seems to be an overwrite operation, not a merge; and is generally implied to be a manual operation.

I'm just starting investigation into the REST APIs, which seem the most often recommended approach, but anticipate that being a bigger project spanning several weeks for even a single field instance; not to mention the time needed to get up to speed on the API. 

What are your experiences integrating JIRA with an ERP?

1 answer

0 votes
Nadir MEZIANI
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2017

Hi,

You could try this plugin

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.databasecf/server/overview

It's free and it will give your needs

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events