Jira - Xray: how can I mirror Xray test's execution Status to Jira Test Status?

aokeeffe@guidewire.com August 18, 2021

Hi Team

Currently when assignee marks a test execution of Test State to PASS, its related Jira Test Issue type still shows as TO DO. How can we mark its related Jira Test status to DONE?

1.PNG

1 answer

0 votes
Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 23, 2021

Hi aokeeffe@guidewire.com ,

unfortunately, currently there's no out-of-the-box solution for that.

Please note that a Test in Xray is a reusable entity, that you can execute in multiple versions or even revisions of the same version. In that sense, transitioning the Tests to DONE could be misleading. Besides, you may also want to run the same Tests in another Test Environment (e.g., another browser), for example. Therefore, it would be hard to "guess" when the related Tests could be transitioned or not.

Regards,

Sérgio

aokeeffe@guidewire.com August 25, 2021

Thank you @Sergio Freire - Xblend  in this case, wondering if you know of any component for the dashboard, that will show me all below for the user in 1 component?

• Assignee =current user
  • Test Status of test execution = status from a test execution e.g, PASSED
  • Only show tests that are tied to a single specific Epic e.g. Customer Integrations project tests

Currently there doesn't seem to by any component that shows this level of info.

Capture.PNG

Thank you

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2021

Currently there's the Test Runs List gadget that can show the Test Runs (not the Test issues)  that are assigned to you. You can also show the linked issues (which  may not be the Epic issues.. it may be the user stories).

If Customer Integrations is available also on the Test issues, then you can create a filter and use it as source. 

In sum, currently there isn't something exactly what you are looking for.

img1.pngimg2.png

aokeeffe@guidewire.com August 30, 2021

Thank you @Sergio Freire - Xblend  can you please advise do you have, in this case, any approach for multiple assignees be able to view their tests and easily provide results; and see them?

What is the best method you may recommend for us?

Thank you!

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2021

first I would suggest having a Test Plan as a starting point, with all the tests that you wish to track.

Then within the Test Plan, you have a board (a folder based organization) that you can use to organize the tests in folders, by some criteria (e.g. component, business case, or even tester if you want). 

From within the Test Plan you can schedule multiple Test Executions. A Test Execution may contain Test Runs assigned to different users if you want... but you may find it easier to create Test Executions for each tester, where implicitly the related Test Runs will be handled by that tester.

For testers to be abel to track their work they can do it in different ways (depending on whether they are assigned just to test runs or if they have Test Executions directly assigned to them).

The Test Runs List gadget can list the runs that are assigned to each user. If you created Test Executions per tester then each tester tracks its work on the Test Execution.

Overall, consolidated progress can be tracked at the Test Plan level, if that is being used (which I would recommend), if all the related Test Executions are linked to a Test Plan.

Think on these layers of information, where on the left (i.e. the Test Plan) you have a more high-level overview

Test Plan > Test Executions > Test Runs

Note: there is no right/wrong recommendation here; I would advise you to try the different approaches and see what works best with your team.

aokeeffe@guidewire.com September 1, 2021

You're feedback was VERY helpful @Sergio Freire - Xblend  it enlightened my thinking!! How about I perform below steps for my structure - would you say this sounds correct too? Just smoke-tested it here on my end, and it seems to show what we need?!

1. First create project's new EPIC
  2. From there, create User Stories
  3. From there, create all TESTS for each tester
  4. Next, create TEST EXECUTIONS for each tester
  5. Next, add related Tests into their Test Executions
  6. Next, Create TEST PLAN for each department - in its Description provide all consolidated tips for How to test
  7. Next, add those Test Executions into their related department's TEST PLAN
  8. Finally, create a Dashboard to add at least 2 gadgets in it a) all related TEST PLANS so that I, as PM can view them all, b) TEST EXECUTIONS LIST by each user - so that each user may view their direct executions easily (this gadget will run of a Filter that's set to show Assignee=Current Logged In User for specific Project-Epic)- note to self, dont show Executions that are in Cancelled status

2021-09-01_14-20-09.png

THANK YOU for your patience with me!!

Agata

Like Sergio Freire - Xblend likes this
aokeeffe@guidewire.com September 1, 2021

@Sergio Freire - Xblend if I may...I have one last follow-up question...What is the best practice IF all the above tests need to be done in sequence - for example Department B can only start their tests after Department A completed their execution? Can it be somehow easily done systematically, or do I need to manage it manually like I did before?

THANK YOU!!

Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 1, 2021

your proposed solution seems fine and meets your needs definitely :)

On the dependencies, neither Jira nor Xray have specific ways for handling those. However, in Jira it's usual to relate tasks using issue links and a specific issue link type, such as "blocks/is blocked by". That would be my suggestion.

Sérgio

Like aokeeffe@guidewire.com likes this
aokeeffe@guidewire.com September 2, 2021

Thank you @Sergio Freire - Xblend  !! this all greatly helped me:)

Have a nice day!

Like Sergio Freire - Xblend likes this
Sergio Freire - Xblend
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 2, 2021

thanks aokeeffe@guidewire.com , you too!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events