How to trigger a sub-task or a US moving from a parent to one another? [automation for jira]

Deleted user September 14, 2019

Hi,

I'd like to trigger the following cases:

• Sub-task moving from US A to US B;
  • User story moving from Epic A to Epic B.

Once I triggered that event I want to update labels in order to let the moving ones get the same label value that the "receiver" has; so:

• If the Sub-task has the label value set to "Lorem ipsum A" (before moving), once it has moved, I want it to have the label value set to "Lorem ipsum B" (if that is the parent label value).

As for trigger I've found these two:

• Field value changed: no parent field found so I'm not sure this is the right starting point;
  • Issue updated: but again when I add a condition after that I don't know how to trigger what field has been updated.

what am I missing?

Thanks, Marco

1 answer

0 votes
Deleted user September 16, 2019

Hi Marco,

Thanks for your question. Trying to figure out the triggers for this is certainly not straightforward! I've put together an example for you on how to get one trigger to cover both scenarios:

c1.png

c2.pngc3.pngSo in this example we're using the issue updated trigger, and then we're checking the issue type and the changelog to see if the parent or epic link field has changed!

One little tip, for both of the Advanced compare conditions it isn't obvious but in other to check against empty I am leaving the second value box blank, I didn't type in empty (this sometimes trips people up!).

Let me know how you go with this and if you need anymore help.

Cheers,

Simeon [Automation for Jira]

Deleted user September 18, 2019

Hi Simeon,

and thanks for the crystal clear example; everything is working just fine now since your step by step "how to" is very accurate;

thanks again,

Marco

Like Deleted user likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events