How to schedule User stories vs bugs etc

Lettingweb June 30, 2012

Hi,

I'm quite new to Jira/Greenhopper so please excuse the possibly silly question however...

I'm struggling to see a good way to manage the scheduling of user stories at the same time as bugs etc.

If I use the planning board then it is fine, I can have all my different issue types and schedule them by moving them arround and setting statistics to constrain the number of days available etc.

This is ok for longer term view, however I'd like to use the rapid board for sprint to sprint orginisation. The problem with this is that all the other issue types don't have an estimate so it becomes kind of pointless.

I guess I'm just having trouble seeing how the user stories fit together with the other issue types. I wan't to be able to manage them all in a similar way but don't want all my issues to have to be user stories...

Have I get the wrong end of the stick or is the something I'm not seeing? Any help would be great.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2012

You can have multiple rapid boards. Is that your real issue because you think you only have one planning board?

Organizing your issues into sprints is something useful even if there is no estimate given. I would not have that sprint worked on until some esitimate can be given, even if the initial estimate is to research for a few days and report back.

What type of issues do you have that do not have estimates that you want to put into an active sprint?

Lettingweb June 30, 2012

Sorry I do have estimates, it's not having story points that is confusing matters for me because it is hard to see how much you have in the sprint.

I'd like to move the slider down the rapid board and have it use the estimated days rather than story points because most of my issues aren't actual stories.

Does that make any sense?

Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 30, 2012

I believe you can change story points to use your original estimates based upon the documentation. You can add the story point field to the issues that is missing that column.

Please read the comments as well on the story point since I believe it is partially relevant to your question as well.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Story+Point

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Configuring+Estimation+and+Tracking

Lettingweb July 1, 2012

Brilliant, thank you for your help :)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events