How to clone child issues of child issues - Automation

Monique Gionet October 3, 2023

Hi there,

I'm not tech savvy but I've found out a little bit about Automation and have been able to use this rule to clone my Epic and it's child issues. My problem is that my child issues also have child issues and I'm not sure what to add here (and where) to get it to not just clone my child issues but also the child issue's child issues. :) Can anyone give me some guidance and please be gentle as I'm a total newbie. Thanks! 

2023-10-04_13-35-32.png

2 answers

0 votes
Monique Gionet October 4, 2023

Hi @Benjamin 

Thank you for the warm welcome and thank you for directing me to the fix in my original automation rule. I've updated the screenshot so it shows correctly, and this definitely does work so thanks so much! :)

However, what I'm really wondering is how I can get the rule to to clone 3 levels. So right now, with the above rule it clones 2 levels:

• (Clone) Epic
    • (Clone) Child issues

But what I'm wondering how to do is get the rule to clone 3 levels like this:

• (Clone) Epic
    • (Clone) Child issues
      • (Clone) Child issues of the child issues

I'm missing the last level and I'm such a newbie that I'm not sure what I need to add to my existing automation rule to get it to also that 3rd level haha! :)

Do you know what I can do to get it to work?

Thanks for any advice/help you can provide.

Best,

M

Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2023

Most Welcome @Monique Gionet .

I would probably look into closer in what that 3rd level is. Is it sub-task? If it is, you probably can add another fork for sub-task and clone those. Sub-task is probably the easier route to go. Here's a few post and different approaches regarding this:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Clone-subtasks-with-Jira-automation/qaq-p/1321057

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Automatically-clone-a-parent-ticket-including-Subtasks/qaq-p/2213159

If the third level is not a sub-task, it will get more complicated and you will need to have condition to find the relationship between the 2nd level and 3rd level. 

-Ben

Monique Gionet October 5, 2023

Hi @Benjamin ,

It looks like it's an Epic > Tasks >  Sub-Tasks.

It's for a Team-managed project on Jira Cloud.

I've reviewed these 2 topics but I'm just not sure how to implement what they're saying. I'll keep trying to figure it out I guess.

It sounds like it might even have to be 2 separate automation rules maybe. I don't know...In the end, I'm just someone who loves Jira but has no idea how to do automation and I'm trying to figure it out so I appreciate any help from the community.

0 votes
Benjamin
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 3, 2023

HI @Monique Gionet ,

Welcome! 

Looks like the fork below for all created issues, then clone those issues. Doesn't seem like it should be there, since it's likely the rule that's causing this issue.

Here's a similar post to help get you to your destination:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-clone-Epic-with-children-by-using-automation-rule/qaq-p/1819811

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events