Finally time to Slack off - How to integrate Jira with Slack

Last week Atlassian announced a strategic partnership with Slack, a leading software for instant communication and team collaboration. As teams continue to become more agile and move at the speed of light, instant and efficient communication is an ever expanding need. (Not to mention that the team that memes together, wins together.)

mem.JPG

This partnership is the next best step to continue providing best of breed collaboration and communication software for Atlassian’s customers. For the companies using Hipchat or Stride, it will be time to say goodbye on February 15, 2019 so now is a good time to start thinking about data migration. Need help migrating or have questions about how this will impact your team’s tools? As trusted Atlassian Platinum Solution Partners, we got you, so hit us up for a friendly chat. 

We at cPrime will definitely miss those snazzy little emoticons but we are ready to embrace the Slack giphy integration with open arms!  

Keeping the customer at the center of their business, Atlasssian promises deeper existing integrations between Slack and Jira Cloud, Bitbucket Cloud, and Trello, and create new integrations with other products to continue to improve the way that teams interact and collaborate.

Why wait? There's no better time to integrate Jira and Slack than today, and of course, Power Scripts can help you configure this in a few easy steps. Starting with version 4.0.13 of the Power Scripts, we've added the ability to use SIL scripts in order to send a message to Stride or Slack. To get it ex-slack-ly right (it was a stretch but we got there), just follow the instructions below:  

Predefined structures for a Slack message

string.JPG

Configuring an integration

To do this, you must have Administrator permissions.

General setup

To configure an integration, perform the following actions:

1. In your Jira, go to Manage add-ons > cPrime Plugin Configuration > Integration Configurations, and click Add Integration.

add integration.JPG

2. Fill in the necessary fields:
    • Name - the name of the integration, it should be unique from other integrations
    • Type - the integration type 
    • Access token
    • Conversation URL - you need to specify this for Stride integration only

conversation url.JPG

3. Save the integration. After saving the added integration, a new entry is added to the table on the Integration Configurations page. 

To edit or remove a configuration, click Edit/Delete.

Configuring notifications to go from Jira to Slack

In order to send a message to a Slack room, add an integration configuration on the Integration Configurations page. The access token can be a bot, a workspace, or a user token. If you want to create a bot for your workspace, perform the following steps:

1. Navigate to the Bots page in the Slack App Directory.
  2. Click Add Configuration.
  3. Choose a username for your bot and add the bot integration.

bots.JPG

4. Copy the access token to the Integration Configurations page and Save.

integration configurations.JPG
  5. Now your configuration is ready to be used in a script.

You can read more about how to create/regenerate tokens for Slack here.

Examples

Send a message to Slack when a ticket is created

To send a message to Slack when an issue is created, add a post-function on the create transition in Jira with the following code:

JSlackAttachment issue;
issue.pretext = key.reporter + " created:";
issue.title = key;
issue.title_link =getIssueURL(key);
issue.text = key.summary;

JSlackMessage message;
message.channel = "C94S1U658"// Channel, private group, or IM channel to send message to. Can be an encoded ID, or a name
message.attachments = {issue};

return sendIntegrationMessage("SLACK", message);

Here's an example of how this notification would look like in Slack.

slack example.JPG

Not ready to break your Stride? We also integrate with Stride, follow the instructions here! But make sure you plan your migration soon, as Atlassian will only continue to support Stride, Hipchat Cloud, Hipchat Server, and Hipchat Data Center until the following dates:

•    Stride and Hipchat Cloud until Feb 15, 2019
    •    Hipchat Server and Hipchat Data Center until:
    ◦    Hipchat Data Center (v3.0): 22 Jun 2019
    ◦    Hipchat Data Center (v3.1): 26 Sep 2019
    ◦    Hipchat Server (v2.1): 8 Dec 2018
    ◦    Hipchat Server(v2.2): 30 May 2019 
    ◦    Hipchat Server (v2.4): 30 Jun 2020 

7 comments

Comment

Prem Chudzinski _extensi_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 7, 2018
Michele Lim [Cprime] August 7, 2018

Thanks for letting me know! Let me try and fix this.

@Prem Chudzinski _extensi_ thank you for bringing up this issue, I can't seem to replicate it on my end even if I log out of my confluence account, can you let me know which images you can't see? Is it all the pictures in the "configuring an integration" headline?

If you can let me know the text above the images then I can try and republish those specific ones.

Thanks! 

@Prem Chudzinski _extensi_ I've tried to load the images onto Atlassian and republish, hope this works, let me know if there are any more issues! 

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 9, 2018

Nice app but you can integrate your jira more easily using 
Jira Server Alerts by Slack

Yevgen Lasman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2018

@Prem Chudzinski _extensi_ the major limitation of "Jira Server Alerts by Slack" app is that it creates a single webhook for a single channel. Unlike Power Scripts where you can create a single "integration connection" which can be used for many rooms, statues, projects name it things from Jira.

For example it could be an event listener pointing to a single SIL script where you can "sort" and compose messages into Slack/Stride based on the event/issue properties. In order all this thing to work you'll need one integration, one sciprt and one events listener. Yes, unlike the app, scripting is felt like a more laborious but only because it is much more flexible.

Like # people like this
Marketplace Partner
August 13, 2018

@Yevgen Lasman 

Indeed Power Scripts seems to be very flexible and powerful. But still most of the users look for something simple (project -> room notification). It would be nice if Power Scripts had some predefined templates and a wizard. That way slack integration could be simplified.

Cheers

Like Greg Elofson likes this
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events