Can you use automation to set due dates based on other fields in different tickets?

Lesly Cracchiolo September 10, 2020

I am wanting to know if automation can work in this scenario:

• A due date is added to a task
  • This triggers sub-tasks to adopt a due date 2 weeks in the future from the parents due date

or 

• A Task has a Due Date Set
  • A Subtask has a custom field called "Phase" that determines which phase the issue is in
  • Can the sub-task then adopt a "2 weeks before the task due date" based on the phase? Like:
    • Task Due date is 10/1/2020
    • Sub-task is in Phase 2 which means it's due 2 weeks before the Task Due Date
    • Sub-Task gets a Due Date of 9/17/2020

@John Funk Any info you can provide would be much appreciated! 

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2020

Hi Lesly - thanks for creating a new question!

1. Create an Automation rule with a Field Value Changed trigger.

2. Select Due Date field and save.

3. Add a Branch rule/ Related issues component and select Sub-tasks and save.

4. Add a New Action component under the branch.

5. Select Edit Issue

6. Select Due Date

7. In the value field put in {{triggerIssue.duedate.plusDays(14)}}

Be sure to run a test scenario!!

Lesly Cracchiolo September 10, 2020

Thank you so much for the quick reply and the step by step instructions! I will try this out and let you know how it goes :) 

Like John Funk likes this
Lesly Cracchiolo September 11, 2020

Hi @John Funk ,

So I followed the steps and was able to get the rule to execute. However, I ran into a date issue. 

automation.JPGIn the case above, the End Date on the parent is set to Feb 1, 2021. So, I would expect the Due Date on the Sub-task to say Nov 9, 2020 based on the 12 week period. But it kept saying Aug 17, 2020. Do you happen to know what error I made here?

Thank you!

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 14, 2020

Hey Lesly - You said the "End Date" is Feb 1, 2021, but your rule is using the "Due Date' of the parent. Do you have both fields? And what are the values for those? Are you really wanting to use End Date? If so then just sub that out in your rule for Due Date. 

Lesly Cracchiolo September 15, 2020

Right now I have End Date and Due Date both set to Feb 1, so in this case it shouldnt matter. It still gives me the incorrect 12 weeks date of Aug 17.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2020

Sorry, but I can't troubleshoot further without seeing your data. You should probably go ahead and open a support ticket with Atlassian. Please post the solution back here so we can close this one out.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

@Lesly Cracchiolo 

It wouldn't let me add a new answer, so lets try an edit here:

Try: {{issue.parent.End Date.jiraDate}}

Where End Date is the exact name of the field, including case. 

Lesly Cracchiolo September 24, 2020

Hi @John Funk,

Is it possible to use this configuration? (see screenshot). If yes, what do I need to put into the due date box to have it trigger from the parent's End Date field? 

Thanks! :) one.JPGtwo.JPG

0 votes
Nathaniel Elliott February 14, 2024

How would you handle this if you have an LOE that is the additional days for the due date vs just based on the trigger date? 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 14, 2024

Can you be more specific? 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events