BigPicture automatic End Date

Patrice Sarrasin March 3, 2020

Hi,

In my program i have my task configuration set to use Start date (Start Date) and  Original Estimate as (duration / estimation of the task). However, I cannot find a nice solution to automatically prolong or shorten the end date without doing that manually. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Patrice Sarrasin March 13, 2020

Use case 1:

You need the correct mapping of the Start/End date in your task configuration.

Change the end date to use the Time Spent + Remaining Estimate field.

To access the task configuration:

1. Jira home page
  2. Jira settings
  3. Apps
  4. Task configuration under big picture

Use case 2: 

We have a feature request ticket for automated resource leveling: 

Issue key

Summary

ONE-21265

Resource leveling

You can view it in incognito mode in your browser.

Sébastien Bonnet September 4, 2023

I am sorry but I can't see this ticket. Can you help me?

Thanks

3 votes
Radosław (SoftwarePlant) March 5, 2020

Hi Patrice,

I cannot be sure what you mean by automatically but the synchronization is bidirectional, meaning that if you change the Start date or the OE manually in Jira on the issue page the plugin will "see the change" (after the page refresh) and adjust the task bar accordingly. Similarly if you move or resize the task within the Gantt view the same changes to Start date and OE will be populated to Jira . 

Please feel free to contact us through our support portal and share more details of your use case and we will do our best to help you configure your plugin to suit your needs.

I hope the information helped.

Radosław of SoftwarePlant Support

Patrice Sarrasin March 5, 2020

I will contact you!

thanks

Patrice Sarrasin March 5, 2020

I opened a support ticket (320016). I will keep track here of the information to help fellow users...

Here are more information regarding the uses cases:

1) When a new task is created with an original estimate (ex: 4 days), the task duration in big picture is always of 1 day. I need to zoom in and manually resize the task the number of days of the estimate. If the estimate change, big picture doesn't resize the task to the number of days in the estimate. The task end date need to be done manually

2) I have a task of 1 day and I assign a ressource available 50% of the time. I need to adjust manually the task to two days to level my ressource correctly. It would be nice if there could be a mode that allow big picture to automatically adjust the end date of a task depending on the ressource availlability that has been assign to the task.

Let me know if there is a way to achieve the previous uses cases or if it's a feature that is in the pipeline.

Let me know if you need more information

Best regards.

Like Paula Brajao Pavao likes this
Paula Brajao Pavao May 3, 2021

The same issue (1) is happening to me.

How can we fix it?

Patrice Sarrasin May 3, 2021

please check the answer accepted, it worked for me... Let me know if you need more details...

Use case 1:

You need the correct mapping of the Start/End date in your task configuration.

Change the end date to use the Time Spent + Remaining Estimate field.

To access the task configuration:

1. Jira home page
  2. Jira settings
  3. Apps
  4. Task configuration under big picture

Use case 2: 

We have a feature request ticket for automated resource leveling: 

Issue key

Summary

ONE-21265

Resource leveling

You can view it in incognito mode in your browser.

Scott Hassell July 22, 2021

How did you change your resource on a task/story to 50% as per above? "I assign a resource available 50% of the time".

Also on the cloud BigPic version when I go to task cfg the end date was set to End date (customfield_10060).  What is the impact of changing this to Time Spent + Remaining Estimate?

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 23, 2021

Hi @Scott Hassell 

I believe that this statement "I assign a resource available 50% of the time" refers to the resource availability in an assigned team in BigPicture box, since in general, you cannot assign only a portion of the resource availability to a task. It follows the rule 1 assignee = 1 task so whenever you assign a person to a task, it takes 100% of the task effort and takes it off the resource capacity. 

When it comes to changing the end date in the synchronization settings to Time Spent + Remaining Estimate, generally, the main use case behind that setting is quite simple, i.e. for the work items on a timeline to reflect the actual time logged against them so that it is possible to see at a glance where the users are at with their items, meaning when these items are really about to be finished. We simply get a true mirror of how the work progresses. The setting itself may be of some benefit when work items are in a sequence, i.e. linked the way one work item needs to be accomplished before another one starts and so on. That way, a logging work operation is enough to reschedule other connected work items. 

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

Scott Hassell July 23, 2021

Thank you.   We are using BigPic at our site but are working to see if it this will work for some MS Project users. In the MS project example they showed us, If you have a task with the resource(engineer assigned) set to 100% at 4wks, you will have an end date 4wks from now. If you change that resource(i.e the engineer assigned) from 100% to 50%, MS project will move out the end date to 8wks from now.  They are reluctant to move to BigPic unless I can show them how they can accomplish something similar via BigPic.  Changing end date to Time Spent + remaining does move out the end date which is great but they don't want to have to manually change the hours estimated for a task to accomplish what they are doing in MS project.  Any ideas?

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 26, 2021

Hi Scott,

You are very welcome.

For this, I would kindly recommend creating a ticket via our Support Portal, so that our Support/Consulting teams can take a look at your requirement and hopefully provide you with some solution.

Regards,

Adam

Nicolas SARRABAYROUSE November 16, 2023

Hello,

I have the same question than Scott Hassel => I can move my 40 people scheduling to BigPicture but I really need an autoschedule of task taking into account workload and resource availibility.

Is-it possible with BigPicture? (I hope because my quick tests show me a very intuitive et complete UI)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events