Automation failing - transition not found

Simon Bell March 7, 2022

Hi All

I have an Automation Rule in place that upon Ticket creation, attempts to automatically transition the ticket to Closed (based on a word that is captured in the Subject line).

The ticket enters 'Triage' and then tries to Close, but fails because in the Triage > Close transition, we have a Condition 'Only the Reporter can transition the issue', and the transition is being attempted by 'Automation for JIRA, rather than the Reporter.

We have this on another workflow which works correctly, but this may be because the ticket moves straight from the start point to Closed i.e. doesn't enter Triage, so the Condition 'Only Reporter can Transition the Issue' isn't activated.

Can anyone help? Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

Hi @Simon Bell 

In the section "rule details" you could configure the actor under which the rule will be performed. This can be changed to "User who triggered the event". As the user that created the issue he/she will also be the reporter. Guess (as far as I got the use case right) should help.

Best
Stefan

Simon Bell March 7, 2022

Thanks Stefan - I will try this although I forgot to mention one thing.

We have another workflow where this works without any problems. It's a very simple workflow in that it has a start point, which can then transition to Triage or Close. The Automation appears to run on the initial start point, so closes correctly (as it has not reached Triage, where the Condition on Reporter' is active.

With the problem I am facing, it would be solved if I could transition directly from the start point to Closed, but the Workflow is only set up to transition from the start point to Triage. Do you know how I can add a transition from the start point to Closed?

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2022

This is just for personal interest:
Why are issues created to immediatly be closed within the creation?

Without knowing anything about your system/environment the workflows are meant for:

Be aware that workflows reflect any management/operations processes and most of the time the ways/status/transactions/restrictions are there for purpose or with any background. If you are maintaining jira from the technical side before changing any workflows I would get in touch with the business/workflow owner/manager.

From the technical perspective:

If you have permission you could edit the workflow and add a transaction:

• open Project settings in the left project menu
  • choose Workflows
  • This will show the workflows/workflow schemes assigned to your project
  • click the edit pencil under actions to edit the workflow

Hope this is helpful.

Best
Stefan

Simon Bell March 7, 2022

Hi Stefan - the ticket is immediately closed and a new ticket is automatically created aligned to our security protocols, that contains only relevant details of the original. Sorry that may be a little vague?

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

Ok. I´m sure there will be any specific logic behind that. As mentioned before: there is mainly a certain process behind a workflow so it will be here.

Anyways it seems that the workflow needs to be configured if a transition from starting point to closed should be allowed directly.

Simon Bell March 7, 2022

Thanks @Stefan Salzl - I'd like to try adding that transition but can't seem to figure out how to do it? When adding a new transition it only allows me to use one of the statuses as the 'From status' whereas I would like the 'from status' to in fact be the start point / prior to the first status (Triage)?

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 7, 2022

I can´t imagine of a solution like this. There is the initial CREATE action/transaction that leads to the first status in the workflow. Transition is the change from one status to another one. As the starting point is not a status (status can only be after creation of an issue) you cannot add a transition there. That would mean all issues created automatically going to status "Closed".

So to say:
If the status "Triage" is your first status after the start point and the create transition each issue created (where this workflow is associated) will be created in status "Triage". 

Simon Bell March 9, 2022

Thanks @Stefan Salzl Apologies I'm pretty new to JIRA so my terminology might not always be correct.

Upon creation, I would like some tickets to automatically Close straight away, based on an automation rule where the Summary contains 'xyz'. The above error message seems to be preventing this, because the ticket has been created at 'Triage' stage, and then the automation tries to close but there is a Condition preventing any further transitions unless done so by the Reporter. What's the best way to resolve? Thanks

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

Did you try my very first suggestion of a solution?

Without knowing exactly neither your process behind nor your workflows and the hard requirement is that this should happen automatically guess the condition in the workflow needs to be either deleted? or if the problem is that there is no transition between triage and closed then a transition needs to be added to the workflow. 

could you please provide a screen of the to workflows that you mentioned in a former post?

Best
Stefan

Simon Bell March 9, 2022

Hi @Stefan Salzl I tried your suggestion whereby I've changed the Rule Actor to 'User who triggered the event'. This has closed the ticket but gave a different error:

"Unknown fields set during edit, they may be unavailable for the project/type. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored - Resolution (resolution)".
Where the ticket Closed, this field edit is supposed to set the value to 'Duplicate' which it's not doing.
I've included below, 1st the new Workflow where it's not working as it's going from Triage > Closed but seems to be prevented by the Condition thats set to only allow the Reporter to Transition. 2nd workflow below is the original workflow which we no longer use, but the AUtomation worked, as the ticket went straight from Creation and followed the 'Close Duplicate' transition. 
2022_03_09_Workflow_01.PNG2022_03_09_Workflow_02.PNGThanks - we are edging closer!
Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 9, 2022

Obviously I was wrong: As it looks like it is possible to immediately transition to another status from entry point (as this is shown in your old workflow). Please appologize my missleading information 🙏🏼

I see 2 options:

• designing the worklow similar to old one (adding the transition „Close duplicate“ that works around your triage status)
  • if this is not possible/desired then i would suggest to the actor is the user who triggered (=reporter) and also adding the resolution „duplicate“ with the automation rule (as this is a required setting obviously) —> tbh. i dunno by heart how or if the resolution can be set. 

Best
Stefan

Like Simon Bell likes this
Simon Bell March 11, 2022

Thanks - adding the transition from Traige to Close without the condition, has resolved this, thank you for your help!

Like Stefan Salzl likes this

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events