Missed Team ’24? Catch up on announcements here.

Create
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

How Utkarsh Singh is Using Atlassian Certification to Boost his Career šŸš€

If you havenā€™t yet heard, Atlassian really does live and breathe its values. One of my personal favorites is ā€œOpen Company, No Bullshitā€ ā€” and one of the consequences of us living this particular value is that we are also a heavy blogging culture.

giphy-downsized

Internally, youā€™ll find Atlassians blogging as often about customer concerns we should be paying more attention to as you will about how to better unplug during parental leave. Thatā€™s why I wasnā€™t surprised ā€” but was very pleased ā€” to come across an internal blog from one of our Cloud support engineers about his journey to becoming an Atlassian Certified Expert.

I chatted with @Utkarsh Singh about why he pursued Atlassian certification because I think his story makes sense whether or not you work at Atlassianā€”or just with Atlassian products every day. He got inspired, he dug in, and we hope youā€™ll find his story inspiring, too!

Read on and leave a comment below: what Atlassian University certification will you start with?

Screenshot 2023-09-05 at 2.25.26 PM.png

Tell us a little bit about your role with Atlassian: what do you do here?

I am one of the Cloud support engineers who work with Atlassian customers from around the world, helping them achieve their goals using Atlassian products. This involves working on queries and escalations raised by Atlassian partners and users about product functionality, best practices, implementation-related problems, and much more. I primarily work on Jira Software Cloud, but I also assist customers with Jira Service Management, Confluence, and Access. This requires me to continuously learn and provide an exceptional experience to the customer so that they can love the Atlassian product even more. ā¤ļø

While I enjoy this aspect of my job, I also contribute to my team by leading various projects that aim to enhance the overall customer experience when using Atlassian products and when seeking assistance.

What was your experience with Atlassian products before joining Atlassian as a support engineer?

I was well aware of Atlassian's product offerings and their respective functionalities. However, before joining Atlassian, I only had some experience working with Confluence. Although some of my previous teams used Jira, I never had the opportunity to gain a deep understanding of it. In fact, it wasn't until my onboarding days here at Atlassian that I first laid eyes on the Jira console. šŸ˜„

Now letā€™s shift to certification ā€” what motivated you to pursue Atlassian Certification?

There were several reasons for it, but the primary one was to test my skills in Atlassian products. I have been working with Atlassian products like Jira and Confluence day in and day out for the past two years and wanted to verify my proficiency across Atlassian solutions through certifications.

Another reason was to learn more. While preparing for the certifications, I had to go through many features that I don't use or go through in my day-to-day job, which increased my understanding and knowledge about the product.

Finally, I am very active in the Atlassian Community, and the ACE designation in my profile means that customers can trust my answers. šŸ˜›

What motivated you to pursue the Atlassian Certified Expert (ACE) distinction in particular?

No doubt that certifications enhance oneā€™s credibility and reputation in their field. As someone who helps many customers every day in achieving their agile goals using Jira and Confluence, I found that the Atlassian Certified Expert (ACE) designation was one of the most reputable ways to learn the skills needed to bring value to my customers' teams and organizations.

image-20230822-172505.png

A chilly morning in Toronto with my wife and son.

Can you share some dos & don'ts with the Community considering getting certified?

DO'S

• Do go through the courses recommended for the certifications on Atlassian University.

• Before starting the exam, ensure that your identity proof matches the name you used on the certification portal.

• It's important to take proper rest before the exam, as sitting for 3 continuous hours with a clock ticking in front of you can be exhausting.

• You are allowed to keep water in a transparent bottle, which I suggest over a glass. 3 hours is a long time,

• If you donā€™t know the answer to a few questions, leave them initially. There is a high chance that the other questions will give you an idea about the answer to the question in which you got stuck.

• Donā€™t forget to order the free swag (Atlassian T-shirt) after completing your first certification.

• Once you have the ACE badge, you can get another swag (Atlassian Jacket).

• Share your certifications on LinkedIn and the Atlassian community. šŸ™‚

DON'TS

• During the exam, your PSI browser window may become unresponsive at times. If this happens, don't worry. You simply need to reload the page but inform the proctor using the chat window provided on the test screen before doing so.

• If you encounter any difficulties, you can ping the PSI proctor using the chat available on the exam window throughout the examination.

• Remember, breaks are not allowed during the exam, so drink water wisely. šŸ˜›

• Also, please refrain from covering your mouth or reading the questions aloud during the examination, as both are not allowed.

• It's important to focus on the screen and not look anywhere else during the examination.

• If you are taking the exam from your personal computer at home, make sure to uninstall any VPN software from your computer (or completely stop it) as the PSI browser (the application on which you take the exam) may not start if it detects such software.

What was the experience like for you?

It was an amazing experience to pass each exam. Not only did it boost my confidence, but I also learned a few things that I never knew even after working for 2 years. The most amazing experience was with the Confluence certification. šŸ˜„ As a member of the Jira support team, this was the first time I was looking at the Confluence administration side in such depth. It was really challenging, as well as exciting.

20230818_210530-20230818-154547.jpg

During our recent family vacation, my wife Shivangi, our kid Riddhit and I had the pleasure of visiting Dubai.

Finally, what advice would you have for someone considering whether or not they should pursue their first Atlassian certification?

If you work with Atlassian products or plan to grow your career around them, Atlassian certifications are the best way to enhance your skills and get professional validation for your expertise. The certification will give you a competitive edge in your career and, at the same time, it can be a great learning experience. If you are already planning to take the exam, calculate how many days it will take to prepare for the exam, add some buffer days, and schedule the exam today. Once you have the deadline, it will be easier to prepare. This trick at least worked for me. šŸ˜Š

Let us know in the comments to help earn your Lean into Learning badge: What tips of Utkarshā€™s will you keep in mind?

What Atlassian University certification will you start with?  šŸ‘€

28 comments

Comment

Suzi Firth
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 6, 2023

Hey,

Some great tips here as I'm about to embark on this journey myself.

I'm curious, which order people have worked through the certifications?

• App level - Jira Service Manager or Confluence
  • Project Level - Jira Project Admin
  • Site Level - Atlassian Cloud Admin

Thanks,

Like ā€¢ # people like this
Sridhar Gandla September 6, 2023

Great to hear about you Utkarsh.. Truly inspiring. 

Dinesh Singh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2023

I am sure this would be an inspiration to many of us!

Raul Pelaez _TecnoFor - Marketplace Partner_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
September 7, 2023

Thanks Utkarsh

Most important sentence in my opinion:

• If you are taking the exam from your personal computer at home, make sure to uninstall any VPN software from your computer (or completely stop it) as the PSI browser (the application on which you take the exam) may not start if it detects such software.

Dave Mathijs
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 7, 2023

Inspirational storu @Utkarsh Singh 

Jaime Netzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 7, 2023

Thanks for your question @Suzi Firth ! I'm sure other Community folks have great replies too, but did want to make sure to point you to a post we wrote exactly because we get this question with some frequency!

Earn an Atlassian Certification to Advance Your Career: Where (and How!) to Start

Cheers to you on your certification journey!

Dan Breyen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 7, 2023

Thanks for sharing this info!

Dipankar Srigyan
Atlassian Team
September 7, 2023

Great blog Utkarsh detailing your approach covering Dos n Donts.. I am sure this will be helpful to many of us. 

Like ā€¢ Monique vdB likes this
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 7, 2023

Thank you @Jaime Netzer and @Utkarsh Singh !  This is helpful as I am currently underway of studying for both the Jira and Confluence certs...

Like ā€¢ Jaime Netzer likes this
Cassie the Jira Mechanic
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2023

@Suzi Firth 
I actually worked through them by lowest permission level and up. So all the certs for project admin first such as Jira Service Management Project Admin and Jira Project Admin. I recommend taking the Project Admin Cert of the product that you view as your strength. This way you get an easier win under your belt and build your confidence. Then I would moved on to the next level Jira Admin. After you pass that I would go for Cloud Org Admin. I do think working them in order matters because as you move thru those classes you will have more and more knowledge to support you for the next level. 

Nirmani Kalakheti
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 8, 2023

Very inspiring! Thank you and Good Luck @Utkarsh Singh !!

Ankit Kumar Singh September 8, 2023

Great šŸ‘šŸ¼ 

Manoj Gangwar
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 9, 2023

Thanks for sharing!!

Ram Kumar Aravindakshan _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 10, 2023

Nice article and thanks for the tips.

StephanieC September 11, 2023

Thanks for the tips on taking exams! I will be sharing your article with my team! 

Andy Gladstone
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2023

I really appreciate this tip:

• It's important to take proper rest before the exam, as sitting for 3 continuous hours with a clock ticking in front of you can be exhausting.

As someone that is constantly answering emails and running from meeting to meeting in my 9-5, I have found that I have lost some of the power of concentration I used to possess. Even when reading, which I used to be able to do for hours on end without interruption, I find that I am WAITING for a distraction to pull me away, which reinforces this poor focus. I'll keep this tip in mind as I prepare to sit the Atlassian Cloud Organization Admin Certification exam. Thanks @Utkarsh Singh

Sayed Bares [ServiceRocket]
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 11, 2023

Very inspiring, thanks for sharing this story @Jaime Netzer 

David Blank
Rising Star
Rising Star
September 12, 2023

This is a great article! Thank you Utkarsh for sharing your experience! I'm anxious and excited to join the ACE ranks. 

Amanda Barber
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 12, 2023

Thanks for the comprehensive list of Do's and Don'ts! Taking the exam remotely was honestly the most stressful part of my recent exam and this list would have eased my mind and helped my planning!

Aaron Geister
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2023

Love all the great tips. I will be sharing this with others.

Shinde_ Mukund September 14, 2023

Appreciate for sharing! Keep it up !

Kai Becker
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2023

Great post, thanks for sharing!

Rosana Aira September 19, 2023

Thanks a lot for the great tips!

carolyn french
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2023

This one is super important! thanks, Utkarsh!

If you donā€™t know the answer to a few questions, leave them initially. There is a high chance that the other questions will give you an idea about the answer to the question in which you got stuck.

Summer_Hogan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2023

Thanks @Utkarsh Singh for the inspiration! I have not yet participated in any certification yet and you inspired me to get started. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events