sometime i get AD error while login and it does not allow to login

Pareshkumar Gandhi July 22, 2014

error:

2014-07-22 09:26:28,545 http-bio-8080-exec-11 ERROR anonymous /rest/gadget/1.0/login [crowd.manager.application.ApplicationServiceGeneric] Directory 'Active Directory server' is not functional during authentication of 'abc'. Skipped.
2014-07-22 09:26:28,545 http-bio-8080-exec-11 ERROR anonymous /rest/gadget/1.0/login [jira.security.login.JiraSeraphAuthenticator] Error occurred while trying to authenticate user 'abc'

3 answers

1 vote
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2014

Hi, I had this or similar error when one of AD servers was unreachable (however it was listed in DNS). One of the possible solutions is to use exact IP of AD server instead of hostname when configuring user directory in Jira.

Septa Cahyadiputra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 22, 2014

This is what I will do. Most of the time, DNS networking cause JIRA to try to connect to other URL. Changing it to IP will exclude DNS issue as the cause. However, this issue is easy to tell as the stack trace will describe the URL that it try to connect to, and if it is different with wath you configured, it is usually the cause of your issue.

Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

I'm using IP address.

0 votes
Andris Grinbergs
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 23, 2014

You may try to connect to AD on port 3268 instead of 389, it sometimes helps.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2014

That's quite clear - Jira is trying to authenticate and your AD server is not letting it in.

You should probably start by looking at the AD server logs - find out why it's refusing to let Jira in.

Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014
We have one more Jira instance which uses same ldap credentials where we never faced this issue ? Is there any issue if I connect multiple Jira to same AD.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2014

The only other thing it could be is a network issue - Jira is unable to reach the AD server (and the other one that always works has a better network setup)

Yes, you can connect as many Jiras as you need to AD.

Paresh Gandhi
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 22, 2014

I have to look at network setup of server machine or jira instance?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 22, 2014

The server.

Jira simply runs on a system, and if it needs to reach out to other systems like AD, it will ask the server for network information. The failure here is that the remote server doesn't seem to always respond, so it's the networking on the local server, the network or the AD server.

Suggest an answer