notification about closing issue is not sent

Silver Salonen February 17, 2014

I have set notifications about closed issues to be sent to Reporter too, but the notification is not sent. Notifications about comments work fine though.

I've also tested it with my own issues and with My Changes on, but I don't get any notifications about closing or re-opening issues.

When I tested it with Notification Helper, the result was that the notification should have been sent, but in actual case I didn't get this notification.

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Silver Salonen February 19, 2014

It happens only with closing issues.

Post-functions declared for closing:

1. The Resolution of the issue will be set to Done.
  2. Set issue status to the linked status of the destination workflow step.
  3. Add a comment to an issue if one is entered during a transition.
  4. Update change history for an issue and store the issue in the database.
  5. Re-index an issue to keep indexes in sync with the database.
  6. Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

Andy Brook [Plugin People]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2014

well, thats the answer then :D

Fire a Generic Event event that can be processed by the listeners.

You should have:

1. Fire a Issue Closed event that can be processed by the listeners.
2 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 18, 2014

Hmm, does the other notifications work? It could be a problem with notifications as a whole :(

If it only affects the closing of issues, you might want to check the workflow to see if the post-function where the 'Issue Closed' event is fired is present or not.

0 votes
Silver Salonen February 19, 2014

For some reason I cannot move the event from 6th place to the 1st one, even though I could change it from Generic to Closed.

But the notifications started arriving now. Thanks!

Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 20, 2014

Glad to hear that :)

0 votes
Andy Brook
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2014

Sounds like you have the right things in place. When you say 'sent' does that mean you actually monitored the outbound mail queue at the instant you triggered this event and did not see it enqueue?

Have you checked the logs? Any customizations to the email templates could result in a render fail, which results in a notification fail.

Silver Salonen February 17, 2014

Yes, I did monitor the queue, but there was no change.

I have also checked the logs (also with debugging enabled), but there's nothing in there about that.

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2014

Try enabling the built-in debug mail listener, see what events are being generated, contrast with your notification scheme.

Silver Salonen February 18, 2014

Enabled and got this on closing:

[DebugMailListener]: Issue: [#67928] testing automatically created issue
[DebugMailListener]: Comment: null
[DebugMailListener]: Change Group: [GenericEntity:ChangeGroup][id,454436][author,s.salonen]
created,2014-02-19 09:39:16.983][issue,67928]
[DebugMailListener]: EventTypeId: 13
[DebugMailListener]: Time: Wed Feb 19 09:39:16 CET 2014

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

The event will fire, I have just verified through the UI, I wonder if you have custom templates that dont take account of an empty comment?

All templates seem to be default ones, at least under WEB-INF/classes/

Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2014

silly question, your notification scheme, it has ISSUE_CLOSED enabled right?

Well, there's "Issue Closed (System)" notification amongst others with different roles assigned to it etc. So I guess yes :)

Otherwise I wouldn't get positive answer from Notification Helper either, right?

Suggest an answer