jql filter query display "Updated BY"

Omprakash Thamsetty
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2018

Does anyone know "Updated By" field to display in jql query results in jira ? I wanted to display columns  likes"updated date" and "updated by" in my query filter. Not filtering 'updated by' field. 

3 answers

1 accepted

15 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2020

Edit 5 April 2021:

If you are using Jira Cloud there now a built-in function that can do this.  Please see JQL functions: updatedBy() This allows you to make a JQL query such as

• Find issues that were updated by John Smith:
    issuekey IN updatedBy(jsmith)
  • Find issues that were updated by John Smith within the last 8 days:
    issuekey IN updatedBy(jsmith, "-8d")

For users that are using Jira Data Center or Jira Server editions, this particular JQL function does not currently exist.  For those users, the original answer below is still valid.

Original Answer:

Hi,

While Jira's JQL does not exactly have an 'updated by' operator that you can use to search issues, it does have an operator called 'Changed'.  Not all fields in Jira will support the use of this operator.  This operator can only be used with the Assignee, Fix Version, Priority, Reporter, Resolution, and Status fields.

But for those specific fields, you can use the syntax of '<fieldname> Changed By <username>' in order to see issues that have had a supported field changed by that user.

This is detailed by Advanced search reference - JQL operators: CHANGED.  From that page are a few examples:

EXAMPLES
  • Find issues whose assignee had changed:

assignee CHANGED
  • Find issues whose status had changed from 'In Progress' back to 'Open':

status CHANGED FROM "In Progress" TO "Open"
  • Find issues whose priority was changed by user 'freddo' after the start and before the end of the current week.

priority CHANGED BY freddo BEFORE endOfWeek() AFTER startOfWeek()

But admittedly, this can't help you find issues where just an edit has happened and none of those fields have changed.   There is an existing feature request to more broadly be able to search on which user last updated an issue over in JRASERVER-69208.

Users in other threads have made requests for Jira to store the user that last made a change to an issue into a custom field on the issue.  Check out the thread https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Which-field-indicates-the-user-who-last-changed-an-issue/qaq-p/103365 for more details.  It does offer some suggestions on plugins for Jira that might be able to help here.

Andy

S. Francoeur August 12, 2020

Hi @Andy Heinzer,

As amatter of fact, we need the "CHANGED" operator to support custom fields in Jira Cloud. Could you provide reference to the proper JRACLOUD ticket to vote for this please?

If there is none, a cloud equivalent of JRASERVER-69208 would be a step in the right direction; unfortunately, it seems JRACLOUD-69208 does not match.  Is there such an equivalent?

JRACLOUD-1973 is close, but still insensitive to custom fields.

Thank you,

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2020

Hi @S. Francoeur

I think that JRACLOUD-30663 is probably more in line with what you are looking to do here.

Like S. Francoeur likes this
mfreitag October 25, 2021

@Andy Heinzer is there a way to query for updates made by the current user?

The function updatedBy throws an error when using the currentUser function, as it only accepts strings.

issuekey IN updatedBy(currentUser()) AND due = endOfDay() AND statusCategory != Done ORDER BY created DESC
Like # people like this
Adam Pudliner December 8, 2021

This is the same question I have. Have you found an answer?

Like # people like this
Marko Slijepčević August 26, 2022
updatedBy(currentUser())

doesn't seem to be working?

Like # people like this
Alis-Hathway Ward (DO NOT USE) October 10, 2022

That's what he was saying. updatedBy only accepts a string or username (your.name). Nothing like currentUser() will work.

mb June 2, 2023

This does not work for me at all either. The JQL function is not recognized.

Never mind: You have to use it like this:

issuekey IN updatedBy(username)
Vladislav Polyutkin December 22, 2023

Nowadays in 2023 this works on JIRA Software DC

• Find issues that were updated by John Smith:
    issuekey IN updatedBy(jsmith)
  • Find issues that were updated by John Smith within the last 8 days:
    issuekey IN updatedBy(jsmith, "-8d")

My example:

• issuekey IN updatedBy("jsmith", "-1d") and assignee = "jsmith" and (status = Resolved or status = "Done") ORDER BY updatedDate DESC
1 vote
Cornelius Gillner March 15, 2022

{quote}
For users that are using Jira Data Center or Jira Server editions, this particular JQL function does not currently exist. For those users, the original answer below is still valid.
{quote}

@Andy Heinzer 
I just used this on a Data Center instance v8.20.2. today - so I guess it is save to assume that it will work in future versions here too?

1 vote
Marcos PS [DEISER] May 23, 2018

Hello Omprakash,

The solution goes thru ScriptRunner and a scriptfield, please, follow this link to another post where a solution has been offered by Henning.

Best regards,

Marcos.

Suggest an answer