[jira] Is it possible to combine issue type, field, screen and workflow schemes to be easier to apply to many projects?

Mark MacVicar October 3, 2013

Is it possible to combine issue type, field, screen and workflow schemes to be easier to apply to many projects?

We have several existing projects that use the same issue type, field configuration, screen, workflow, permission and notification schemes. Configuring all the projects individually is error prone. Is there any way to combine the schemes together and apply them all as a group?

I wonder if I could create a dummy project, clone it into a new empty real project, them move all the issues over from old project to new project? Later, rinse, repeat. Hmm... that might be worse than configuring by hand.

2 answers

1 vote
MarkW October 3, 2013

Outside of configuring by hand, you can try Bob Swift's command line tool to script the changes you are wanting to make to all the projects schemes. I've used this method and it had worked great for me. I didn't need to move any issues, or clone projects.

You can also use Jaimie Echlins Script Runner plugin to clone the project and it's issues. Be careful with this solution as it will vary on how many issues you have in the project(s) and you will have to perform two copies since you may want to retain the original project key. Without testing, you could also accidently execute the script for multiple runs. You could potentially use this to write your own groovy script to swap the schemes.

If those solutions don't work (including the one you proposed of moving the issues) and you decide to change each by hand, I do recommend setting up template projects. I use 3 different style of projects in my JIRA instance. Based on the requeste for a new project, I then use the Script Runner plugin to clone the most appropriate templated project (exclude components, issues and versions) and I simply tweak the project lead and administrators. This method helps keep me from adding every little scheme I need to the project configurations and it is done within 15 seconds.

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2013

Specifically for the JCLI, updateProject or createProject.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2013

From 6.0.7, JIRA makes it easier as you can create a project blue print. See https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Creating+a+Project+Template for more details.

Suggest an answer