how to mention a JIRA issue in the description or comment of another issue?

Zach Block April 12, 2018

I found another discussion that mentioned several ways to mention one issue from another, but none are working for me. Here's what I've tried:

1. [GG-22]
  2. [#GG-22]
  3. GG-22

I do not prefer to do the following as it's time consuming:

https://co-name-here.atlassian.net/browse/GG-22

Thanks for your help.

8 answers

1 accepted

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

14 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2020

Hello everyone,

Jira Cloud changed a lot since this question was created, so I would like to update this thread to add the current behavior when adding a link to another issue on the description and comments.

The new issue view uses Markdown editor and in order to mention another ticket, you can simply type the issue key and press space or enter/return for the text to be updated with the link. You can also paste the link to the description or comment that will automatically be converted to the link showing the issue type, issue key, summary, and status.

If you are still using the old view that uses Wiki Markup, then it's necessary to type the issue key and save the comment/description for it to show the issue type, issue key, and status or use [IT-123|https://xxxxxx.atlassian.net/browse/IT-123].

Hope this clarifies!

If you have any other questions or if you are facing issues, since the original question is from 2018, please, raise a new question so we can better investigate what is happening.

Regards,
Angélica

Jerome LeBlanc July 1, 2020

I am glad that typing the issue key in the new Markdown editor creates a link. However, it only works if you type in upper case. IT-123 will convert; it-123 will not. It's a minor annoyance, but in the old Markup editor, either case will be converted into a link to the referenced issue.

Also, the new Markdown editor only seems to be available when viewing an issue. Creating a new issue and transitioning an issue through the workflow still use the old Markup editor. A bigger annoyance in that issue keys that appear as links in the old Markup editor do not become links in the new Markdown view. It is a shame that the new view is not backwards compatible.

Like # people like this
Rick Measham July 1, 2020

It should be noted that in the new editor you need whitespace before the key. Putting it in braces doesn't work.

This won't expand (JIRA-123<space>

But this will ( JIRA-123<space>

Like # people like this
Michael Simmons March 27, 2021

Hello Angélica,

When I type an issue (ex: GET-117) nothing happens, no link appears. I have done this by opening the issue page, same result. I am using Jira Cloud.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Michael

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 29, 2021

Hello @Michael Simmons,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

When we need to mention a ticket on a comment, it’s necessary to type the issue key and press space or enter. If we just type and save the comment, it won’t convert the issue key to a link.

Also, when the ticket doesn’t exist, it will show only plain text. 

Kind regards,
Angélica

Like # people like this
Ignacio Martínez
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
April 15, 2021

Hi @AN , should this also work in the OSX Jira App?

I am able to link a ticket in a description, but I haven't been able to do it in a comment.

The only way that has worked for me is pasting the whole url. Is it possible by just typing the ticket key?

Edit:

Actually, now that I checked again, I don't think linking from a ticket description is consistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Doesn't matter if I add an space or return after the ticket key

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
April 15, 2021

Hello @Ignacio Martínez,

Thank you for reaching out to Community!

On the Jira Cloud for Mac, the behavior is different and it’s only converted when adding the entire URL of the ticket.

There is a feature request suggesting this improvement:

Please, click on vote and also watch to receive updates about the feature.

Kind regards,
Angélica

Scott Snowden
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 9, 2021

Hi @Angélica Luz , 

The ticket conversion is nice, but I have a product name that happens to match a Jira Ticket name so every time I mention the product name it autoconverts to a link to the Jira ticket. How do I escape the text so that it does not auto-convert to a link?

Jerome LeBlanc July 9, 2021

@Scott Snowden, Try this for text in the Description:

For the new issue view:

Enter your Jira Ticket name (e.g. TKT-1234) followed by a period and space and the rest of your text. Then go back and delete the period. 

For the old issue view, you can enter the ticket like this:

TKT\-1234

The backslash (\) escapes the dash (-) and prevents Jira from converting it into a link.

Like Jing Liu likes this
Dana Woodman
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
August 20, 2021

As far as I can tell, none of the options work on Jira Desktop or in the browser. I've tried adding a space, hitting enter and even pasting the URL. None of them auto link. Using latest version of the desktop app.

Additionally, there is no WYSIWYG option to link to a ticket. This seems like such basic functionality I'm blown away Jira doesn't support it. Github has supported this for nearly a decade from my recollection.

Like # people like this
4 votes
Mike Putnam
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 13, 2022

REQUEST:  Be able to look up issues exactly like "@person" mentions.

Type some char (maybe #?) and get an inline character-at-a-time short list.

2 votes
mik
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 16, 2022

Clicking the link icon in the toolbar and start typing the issue key works for me.

1 vote
Jeff Houde
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
March 10, 2020

I came across this problem as well, I found that it is more than just typing the ticket ID, you actually have to press return right after you type it so it triggers a ticket link. If the link doesn't appear as soon as you press return, then it won't just magically appear after you submit the comment.

Jerome LeBlanc May 22, 2020

Well, that works, but it's not as nice as the old view which automatically translated Jira issue numbers into links. Doing it this way, the issue number, summary, and status all appear in the text. If I switch to the old issue view, I only have to enter the issue number and save and the wiki markup editor converts it to an issue link with just the number and status, and when you mouse-over the link you can see the summary.

In the new editor, if after pressing enter to get the issue link you then edit the link to remove the summary, it treats it as an external link; that is, you don't get the status or the summary on mouse-over.

Leave it to Atlassian to take 1 step forward and two back on the UI.

Jerome LeBlanc May 22, 2020

Follow up...

But, if you enter it via the old view, you only get the issue link IN THE OLD VIEW! The new view shows the issue number as text without a link or status. So it appears to be an issue with the new page renderer not recognizing the issue number and creating the link.

1 vote
Anatoly Spektor May 29, 2019

I don't think any of those work for you, there are only 2 ways that worked for me, and both related to actual links.

I put all my attempts in the video in case someone will find it easier that way to learn (there are no ads or anything) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USj7HKy1u6w

1 vote
Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2018

Hello,

usually, simply writing the issue key without anything else (no # or []) should be enough. Have you tried that ? 

Cheers,

— Alexis

Yes, not parsing the key at all

I have also tried all of the above with the admin account but to no avail.

Alexis Robert
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2018

Could you check what the renderer of the comment field is.

* Admin -> Field Configurations -> The field configuration of your project -> Find Comments

It should be wiki renderer:

16375iFFB12C30993DB983.png

Cheers, 

-- Alexis

Like Andy Heinzer likes this
Zach Block April 13, 2018

Screen Shot 2018-04-13 at 9.52.48 AM.pngHi,

I have what you have pictured there.  I had found that seeting in f another post as well, but it's still not parsing issues in comments and descriptions. 

Zach Block April 13, 2018

It would appear there is in fact a bug with the software:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-69230

Paulino Kok
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
November 15, 2018

Try turn off the new JIRA issue view in your JIRA personal setting page may solve the issue.

Saphia
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
December 28, 2018

Yes, thanks., it's solved.
But seem that only me can view it as Link_To_Issue.png, others who enabled new JIRA will see it as just a link. That help nothing. Do we have any better way? Why not Atlassian keep using that useful view mode :(

Like # people like this
Anamika Rajput
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
April 16, 2019

Just Type in the Ticket number GG-22 and press CTRL + K, and select the link. 

Like # people like this
0 votes
Elvis de Freitas Souza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 6, 2022

Can`t believe that feature still doesn`t exists in a faster way to refer

0 votes
Paul Lau
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
January 31, 2022

For online it works with just typing projectname and dash with the number like PROJ-34

and then hitting enter

It seems to parse it then and puts as a link

Elvis de Freitas Souza
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
September 6, 2022

no it doesn`t 

Like pmendesm likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events