how to import parent and child issue links from one project to another project?

sai chinamuthevi January 18, 2022

We have around 470 tickets to import into production and we have parent and child links i am unable to import them directly doing it manually will take a lot of time please guide me parent.PNG

2 answers

1 vote
Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2022

Hi @sai chinamuthevi 

I've assumed here:

• You're uploading all these Issues as newly created Issues
  • You're using the Jira Admin importer - External System Import

This support page will help you do this - the basic details are:

• You need to use Issue IDs in the CSV file to do the mapping, not Issue Keys, if uploading all new Issues.
    • You can also mix/match - so have Issue IDs for new Issues, and Issue Keys for linking to existing Issues in Production.
    • An Issue ID in the CSV is just a unique numeric value in place of an existing Issue Key - it can easily be 1-470 in a separate column
  • The links in the file need to be the outward link description - eg. blocks, clones, duplicates, etc. The CSV import tool does not recognise inward descriptions

Let us know if this works for you :)

Ste

Xavier GRIMAULT
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 3, 2022

Hi @Stephen ,

I feel sorry because I relly don't get how your answer and the support page does help here regarding creating links between "Parents" (EPICs for me) and "Tickets" (US in my case).

I assumed that I would just have to : 
- export my Epics from JIra in a CSV file
- export my US from Jira in a CSV file
- In this last file, using Excel, add a column "Parent" (if not already there)
- in this "Parent" column, add the "Parent IDs" (EPICs from my first file) for each US
- Save and import to Jira using the basic import feature.

But when I look at the mapping fields, the "Parent" field doesn't appear as an option, so I don't get how to create those links using the import basic feature.

Could you please help us ?

Ste Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 21, 2022

Hi @Xavier GRIMAULT 

Assuming this is Server, or a Company-managed Project in Cloud, you need to use slightly different fields for Epic/Story.

If you are uploading as two separate files:

1. Upload the Epics first, then export the new set of issue keys for them
  2. Add a column to your User Story file, Epic Link
  3. Add the appropriate Epic's issue key against each row
  4. Upload the User Story file, mapping "Epic Link" to the same field name

You can also upload Epics and Stories in the same file, to do this:

1. Add the Epics and User Stories to the same file - ensure you have a column for "Issue Type" in this instance
  2. Populate the "Epic Name" for each of the Epics
  3. In the "Epic Link" column for Stories, add the "Epic Name" text again, ensuring it is exactly the same for each Epic mapped
  4. Upload the file, mapping the fields accordingly

Ste

Xavier GRIMAULT
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
October 23, 2022

Thank you very much @Ste !

I checked the project type and it's a team-managed software project.

Does this means it's not possible to do so as long as our project is from this type ?

1 vote
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

Hi @sai chinamuthevi 

I guess if you are importing issue links, you are importing issues as well?

Have a CSV export with custom selection where you will have the issue links as well and then import it in the destination project

Please refer to the CSV import doc here

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/importing-data-from-csv-938847533.html

Thanks,
Pramodh

sai chinamuthevi January 18, 2022

Hi Pramodh i dont know how to import parent links to csv

Suggest an answer