how to disable JIRA backup service when starting the JIRA service ?

fabby April 1, 2013

my jira version is 4.4.1 ,on Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit ,its physical configuration is as follows,

CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @2.27GHz 2.26GHz

RAM: 12GB

and has allocate Xmx 1024m to JVM.

1. each time i start JIRA, its xml backup service will be started,and begin to backup. then jira works very slowly, and always lead to " java.lang.OutOfMemoryError ". so in this situation, it will be very difficult to start jira.

2. i have to try several times to "start" jira .

3. on the other hand, i also set "Backup Service" to 1440(mins) under [System]->[Services] . i.e. i want to auto backup jira every day.

4. so is it possible to just disable JIRA backup service when start jira service.and enable the everyday's auto backup service ?

3 answers

2 votes
darylchuah
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2013

Hi Fabby

I guess you have bump in to this situation : OutOfMemory Error or Poor Performance due to XML Backup

Please try the suggested resolution which could possibly address your issues.

Hope it helps

Cheers :)

fabby April 1, 2013

thanks DaryI

to be on the safe side,i both use a native database tool and XML bakckup as a backup strategy

0 votes
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2015

I just upgraded from JIRA 6.1.7 to 6.3.15 yesterday, and it seems that the backup service has been disabled on startup.  It now appears to run on a strict schedule based on the interval you set.  Mine runs every 120 minutes, so I have backups for 6:09, 8:09, 10:09, etc.  I even restarted the system in between, and it appears to remember the last backup and when the next one should run.

0 votes
Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Are u running JIRA on linux or windows?

What is the memory configurations? Alocate to JIRA?

fabby April 1, 2013

Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise 64 bit ,its physical configuration is as follows,

CPU:Intel(R) Xeon(R) E5520 @2.27GHz 2.26GHz

RAM: 12GB

and has allocate Xmx 1024m to JVM.

Heshan Manamperi
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

Daryl is correct. you have to increase memory for heap and JVM.

Suggest an answer