how to close a task

Srilakshmi Tariniganti October 8, 2018

I have created an issue which I assigned to myself. I now want to close it, how should i do it

3 answers

8 votes
Samuel Hayton October 13, 2019

I can only find the option to change task to 'Done'.

The task is not done. But I just want to close it without deleting it. 
How do I do this?

1 vote
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2020

Hello everyone,

I know it has been a while since this question was posted, but I would like to share how Tasks or other issues can be closed nowadays.

If using a next-gen or a classic project with the new issue view, the Task can be closed by simply clicking on the status and select the status that is Green, that by default, it's "Done", but it can be any other name, it will depend on what the administrator chooses.

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 15.15.54.png

I mentioned the status being Green because in next-gen, that's the only type of status that adds a resolution to the ticket and with that, the ticket will be considered Closed. For Classic projects with new issue view, it may have more than one Green status, because, on this type of project, it's possible to set that.

If using a Classic project with the old issue view, it will show on the top of the ticket. 

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 15.23.26.png

In case there are many statuses, some will show when clicking on Workflow:

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 15.35.01.png

In case you don't see some status or see any error message, please, check with your project administrator if you have permission to transition issues.

Hope this helps!

If you are facing any issues or have any other questions regarding this matter, please raise a new question.

Regards,
Angélica

0 votes
Nic Brough October 8, 2018

Move it through the workflow to the closed status you want.

Awest December 14, 2022

And if the task is not completed, then what?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2022

You should not close incomplete tasks.  It's a very plain boolean - an issue is complete or not.

Note that "complete" includes "we did some stuff, but then decided we're not going to do any more work on it, so we've cancelled it.  The cleanest way to do that in an issue tracker like Jira is move the issue through the workflow to "closed", and set a "reason we closed it" (resolution in Jira) to "won't do"

Benoit Proulx
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
January 30, 2024

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- What if a task was never started but is now no longer relevant? Is it really completed if it was never started to begin with?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2024

"Complete" includes "we did some stuff (including maybe just reading it), but then decided we're not going to do any more work on it, so we've cancelled it. 

The cleanest way to do that in an issue tracker like Jira is move the issue through the workflow to "closed", and set a "reason we closed it" (resolution in Jira) to "won't do"

Suggest an answer