delegate version and component management without granting full admin project permissions

Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

Hello,

Is there any way to delegate the version and components management to the Project Managers without delegating the full project admin permissions?

I want to let the PM create, merge, release ... their own versions and create and maintain the components, but avoiding the risk of changing the wf scheme, or the issue screen scheme by mistake.

In fact, this is a "decoupling" between the PM and Jira admin roles in our organization. Can you offer any thoughts about this?

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 12, 2013

hmm, I think you got something wrong. A project Admin can not change the workflow or issue screen scheme without being a jira administrator. Please see here for the managing project permissions

1 vote
Holger Schimanski
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 6, 2016

If you want to delegate create and manage versions for a project from administer project permission e.g. because you want to allow a certain user to create versions, but not to change project role memberships, then you can use Version Manager for JIRA plugin. This allows version management without need to give administer project permission to the user. 

Best regards
Holger

Nikoletta August 21, 2017

What do you suggest for Cloud? 

Rahul Gundecha March 21, 2018

I have same query. What is the solution for JIRA cloud?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2018

Migrate to server and get the version manager.

Like # people like this

Thanks Nic. However we can't migrate from Cloud to server to get this feature

Like Brett Flintoff likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 21, 2018

You mean "won't", not "can't".  Doesn't matter though.  Migration to server is the only way you can get it.

Yes, it doesn't matter  :-) 
In my first query itself, I mentioned that I am looking for the solution for JIRA cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2018

And I have given you it.  No point in repeating the question, you have the answer.

I am checking if there is any update after the question asked by Nikoletta Ersok  on Aug 21, 2017 

Only answer I understand now is - as of 21 March 2018, there is no support in Cloud which does the exact same thing which was asked at the start of this thread:

delegate version and component management without granting full admin project permissions

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 21, 2018

That is what I said.  I also gave you the available fix for it.

Nikoletta March 21, 2018

Hi @Rahul Gundecha

There is an open feature request to implement this for Cloud: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-12891

Hi @Nikoletta

Thanks a lot for providing the right link. I just voted on that link

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 12, 2013

Yes, that's exactly what Jira currently supports. Letting your PMs be Jira administrators is a recipe for complete disaster (except for me, because I've had a lot of work in the past undoing the mess it makes)

First, remove your PMs from System and Jira administration, then revise your permission schemes.

Specifically, "Administrate project" permissions allows a user to maintain versions, components, users and Greenhopper configuration in THAT project only.

0 votes
Tanya Botta September 20, 2018

In addition, you can consider using the API to create Components and Versions.

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

My fault,

as PM they can view the project configuration (WFS applied, ISS ..) but they can't change the WFS applied to their project.

you are right!

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

Oooops, I think that I didn't explained that very well.

I don't want the PMs change the WF scheme applied to their own projects. (not changing the WF scheme itself!!).

The same applies for all other schemes (issues, screens, ...). The only operations I want to "delegate" are assigning people/groups to project roles, and managing versions and components.

Of course, PMs don't have Jira admin permissions :)

Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 12, 2013

As Nic stated the "Administrate project" permissions allows exactly that

Suggest an answer