csv import: import to issue under epic

Thirukumaran_V_T September 29, 2021

How do I import issues under an epic ?

I want to import the issue as Task under epic.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Hi @Thirukumaran_V_T 

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!!

First fall create epics in Jira and use this formatsample.PNG

where parent id is the Issue key of Epics:

Issue id is the dummy id of the issues that you want to import and link to epic.

Mapping:

Parent id--> epic link

Issue id---> issue id

Issue type --> Issue Type

Summary ---> summary

Thanks,

Mayur

Here is my CSV:
Summary,Epic, type, id
demo test import 1,STAV-1, Task, 10
demo test import 2,STAV-1, Task, 11

Epic-> Parent -id

id-> issue id

and I am getting this warning:

image.png

I already have a "task" in the epic (STAV-1)

image.png

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 29, 2021

Hi @Thirukumaran_V_T 

While making a import sheet 

Use dummy issue I'd like 1001 or 1002 like wise 

And Map parent I'd colum to epic link. It will work 

Like Sam Ma likes this

Hi Mayur,

Changed and still same error.

Summary,Epic, type, id
demo test import 1,STAV-1, Task, 1001
demo test import 2,STAV-1, Task, 1002

image.png

Do we need to add any additional field in the issue ?

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

You just follow my sample sheet it will work.

Thirukumaran_V_T September 30, 2021

Found the issue. In Task "Epic Link" was missing. After it is added by our admin, it started working. Thank you Mayur for your help.

Mayur Jadhav
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 30, 2021

If the answer is helpful please hit accept ✅

ayu September 30, 2022

I'm encountering the same issue....on my Task screen "Epic Link" is already present.  Are you saying that afterwards you are mapping Epic Link to Parent Id? If yes, I'm getting the same error mentioned above that Thirukumuran screen shotted.

The crux of this appears to being able to only map an issue of type "Sub-task" to a parent ID. I reread what everyone wrote prior and the solution is not clear.

0 votes
Anton Samoilik November 7, 2023

The intuitive approach would, of course, be to use the value from the "Issue ID" column and put it into the "Epic Link". However, that causes import warnings and will not roll out the epic structure.

I found out that using "Epic Name"'s value in the "Epic Link" column of the CSV file does the trick.

0 votes
Sierra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 3, 2023

Hi @Mayur Jadhav would you please review what I have and point me in the right direction? 

I'm trying to follow these directions of yours: 

CSV2.pngValidation.png

Am I misunderstanding something?

Ricardo.Gomes August 31, 2023

Hi @Sierra ,

Have you been able to figure this out? I'm also getting the same error that you're getting and the information from the Community is very contradictory.

Please let what you did in case you got this fixed and was able to link tickets to an Epic when importing issues into Jira.

Thanks!

Sierra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 1, 2023

Hi @Ricardo_Gomes , I was able to by using these column headers in a csv, here's an example of the formatting I had to use. 

Summary        Issue Type      Components         Epic Link Summary          Epic Name 

Title                    Epic                 Comp1                                                       Exact-Name

Title                    Task                 Comp1                Exact-Name

This works everytime for me ^

0 votes
Alex Koxaras _Relational_
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 29, 2021

Hi @Thirukumaran_V_T and welcome!

Did you read this documentation about importing a csv file? It's pretty straight forward!

Fernando Candia October 26, 2021

Hey @Alex Koxaras _Relational_ , unfortunately there's no mention of the mapping involved to import issues under epics. However, the accepted answer is clear enough.

Need to mention that it's not possible to do so on Team-Managed projects.

In Team Managed projects the Epic Issue Key is stored in the Parent field for its child stories, whereas in Company Managed projects it is stored in the Epic Link field.

Based on my experimentation with CSV import, when Parent is selected for the mapping field, the import process assumes that the issue being imported is a sub-task. If the Issue Type of the imported issue is not a sub-task issue type, then the import process reports this warning:

From: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-Do-I-Link-a-New-Task-to-an-Existing-Epic-when-doing-a-CSV/qaq-p/1811866

Suggest an answer