cascading a component from parent to child

doug martin November 20, 2020

i've created a Feature - Epics - Stories - relationship and when i add a Component to a Feature, can it cascade to the children?  

2 answers

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 21, 2020

Hi @doug martin 

How did you create the relationship between Feature and Epic? Is this using Advanced Roadmaps (formerly Jira Portfolio)?

There's no default method to automatically cascade components from one hierarchical level to another - you'd need an app to help with this, such as:

Are you aware of a scripting or automation app which your instance has installed?

Ste 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 21, 2020

Hi Doug,

welcome to the Atlassian Community!

I might not be getting you right. If I understood you correctly you created an Issue Type "Feature" along with the existing ones like Epic, Story (while Epic has some technical specialiaties coming along with them in the end they are all Issue Types).

A component is a good way to categorize issues - but I don't seem to be getting the "cascade to children" part. There is another kinda special Issue type: Sub-Task. They always have a "main" or "parent" task, for example a Story or any other Issue Type.

You can learn more here about it:
https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/creating-issues-and-sub-tasks-939938925.html

Cheers,
Daniel

doug martin November 27, 2020

Hi @Daniel Ebers 

The cascading part -  If i add a component to an issue type Feature, will anything that i 'attach' to the Feature using the Has Parent or Has Child function have that component? 

My want is that if I create a gadget or view of an issue type, i'd like to see that Component of the parent. Does that help? 

Thanks!  

Doug

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 27, 2020

Components are defined on project level - then they can be added (unless you have some special configuration in place) to any Issue Type.

For what you are trying to do the answer from Stephen matches - you would  need to have your requirement supported by an App and test if this brings your idea further.

Suggest an answer