You're temporarily logged in as another user. Switching back to original user does not work

Sharmila Manikantadhas January 6, 2020

You're temporarily logged in as another user. When you're done, switch back to your account. clicking on switch back does not work

18 answers

1 accepted

6 votes
Answer accepted
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2020

Hi everybody!

Sorry to hear about this problem, this does appear to be a bug.  We have a ticket about this issue that you can see in CLOUD-10963.  Please vote on that issue if you're affected by this problem.

Should a workaround become available or a fix be applied to Atlassian Cloud sites about this, I would expect that ticket to be updated to reflect this.

Cheers,

Andy

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2020

Thanks for the reference and confirmation Andrew.

gyoung_swingtech March 25, 2020

For anyone just hitting this page, Atlassian marked this issue as Fixed on 3/20/2020. Curious if anyone is still having the problem (such as @Andrea_Harris , who just commented on it today). Here's the ticket: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/ID-7343

Like # people like this
Daniel Bazylewych April 1, 2020

I am experiencing this problem.

Manikanta Maram April 1, 2020

I am also experiencing the same problem

Guy Benur April 13, 2020

I have this problem

Debora Birbeck April 19, 2020

Me too

Jose Angel Marcos April 29, 2020

Me too

Chris Olson May 27, 2020

me too

Dan Grainger June 3, 2020

Me too

bogdan_costache June 3, 2020

Just encountered this problem now (browser Safari version 13.1 (15609.1.20.111.8))

vinny.chiang June 4, 2020

Me too.

Steven Kent June 22, 2020

Me too

Benjamin Sailer July 7, 2020

me too

Matthias July 13, 2020

Just encountered the problem

Eryn Doerffler August 14, 2020

Just ran into this issue today as well.

John Williams September 2, 2020

I'm having this problem too.

How do you prompt the switch back message to reappear? As soon as the message is gone, i have to log out and log back in to switch back.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2020

Generally, if you continue to navigate to new screens it will reappear if in fact you are truly still logged in as the other user. This can be assessed by looking at the avatar/profile in top right.

Michaël Monserrat September 29, 2020

The problem persists and when the language is French the link to go back to the original account in the popup doesn't even appear.

patrick.ng November 25, 2020

I experience this problem.

What do I need to resolve this issue

Rakesh Pradhan September 27, 2023

I am experiencing this problem.

4 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 6, 2020

If this is reproducible please contactAtlassian Support. I have seen before and I have seen others report it. We need Atlassian to investigate when reproducible.

3 votes
Bill January 9, 2020

It works but it continues to display as if it didn't work.  You are logged back in as yourself but the irritating pop-up continues.

Andrea_Harris March 25, 2020

THIS.  So annoying.

Like # people like this
Jonas Tidström October 6, 2020

I am also annoyed!

Bruce Kulback November 9, 2020

Still occurring!

2 votes
Dave Rossow January 23, 2020

I had the same issue in Chrome.  I was able to get around it by logging in using a different browser, Brave in this case.  I then reproduced the issue in Brave, and cleared it by logging in via Chrome again.

Nedzad Hodzic February 11, 2020

This one solved it for me, logged in from Epic, then logged out from Chrome, removed some cookies and logged in again in Chrome -> Popup vanished

1 vote
Tomáš Vojvoda December 22, 2022

I just had a ittle different issue, I have ompersonated an user and got stuck as the user, no "swtich back" pop up. Logging out did not help, but then I've found this workaround:

Workaround

A manual workaround is to have the admin to navigate to <siteurl>/impersonate, which will reset the impersonate function. e.g. acme.atlassian.net/impersonate

Antti Seppänen December 29, 2022

Thank you very much, this helped me to get back to my own account.

Zdeněk June 16, 2023

Great, thank you, this resolved my issue. 

1 vote
Yossi Geretz October 14, 2020

October 14, 2020 and I am experiencing this issue. This is NOT fixed!

Yossi Geretz October 14, 2020

I was able to work around this, and eliminate the annoying message. The problem started when I logged in as an impersonation account. Instead of switching back, I logged out of the impersonation account and then logged back in with my native account. After doing that I received the annoying pop up every time I accessed the application.

So I used the following corrective process: I logged in again as the same impersonation account and then 'switched back'. This seems to be key because this corrected the problem. I no longer receive the annoying message when I log into the application.

Atlassian: You need to fix the logout function for an impersonation account to clear out whatever application state is cleared out by the 'switch back' function.

Like Christoph Bernhard likes this
Daniela Griesinger October 14, 2020

I workaround like this: Using Cookie AutoDelete Extension for Chrome. After impersonation I logout and login as me again.

1 vote
Daniela Griesinger September 28, 2020

Still having this issue.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 28, 2020

@Daniela Griesinger , I would recommend reaching out to Atlassian Support given the original issue has been marked as resolved. This will allow them to log into you instance, with your permission, and have a look.

Like Daniela Griesinger likes this
1 vote
Benjamin Sailer July 13, 2020

just as a workaround I fixed it by removing all atlassian cookies from my browser.

1 vote
Kaine Escott January 19, 2020

Same issue. Clearing browser cache temporarily fixed it, then used feature again and issue reappeared

0 votes
Michele Atkinson November 16, 2020

I'm not getting the prompt to switchback to myself now. I can impersonate a user but have to log out as them then log back in as myself. After I log back in as myself I check the prompt.

0 votes
Matthew Rost May 19, 2020

this is still an issue and i'm having this problem now. how do i stop it?

Every screen shows this message:
2020-05-19 15_25_02-Edit Notifications - JIRA - Firefox Developer Edition.png

When i click X is goes away until i go to the next page. I click 'switch back' and nothing happens.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 19, 2020
0 votes
Gary Young March 15, 2020

If it helps anyone, the switch back link worked for me when I returned to the browser tab with the Admin page (I had a lot of other Jira & Confluence tabs open on which the link didn't work). Your mileage may vary, though...

0 votes
tboschek February 29, 2020

This is so annoying. It keeps popping up all the time and won't go away.

0 votes
Scott Demaret February 13, 2020

Same issue here, got to say, I have started to hate atlassian !

0 votes
Craig Mellon January 30, 2020

same issue here, happens every time.

0 votes
Ducu January 22, 2020

Same problem ... and I may know how to reproduce it (but first i need to get rid of it ...)

0 votes
Stas Kiner January 16, 2020

I have the same issue since today, logged in as another user once, now the alert always pops even when logged in as my self.

0 votes
Bill January 13, 2020

Jack...I can work with you and do a screen share if you want to see this issue replicated.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2020

It wouldn't do any good for me to see as I'm but a user like yourself. This is something Atlassian would need to explore.

Suggest an answer