XML Import for workflows: What can not be imported by XML Import

Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi September 4, 2018

Hi, i know this is a super simple question, but for XML Import for workflows: What can not be imported by XML Import?( (e.g. custom fields, post functions, conditions, workflow, screens, notifications scheme)

1 answer

0 votes
Tzu Hau Chai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 4, 2018

The workflow XML import can only import the workflow itself, so nothing else will be imported. For example, any referenced custom fields/screens/status etc. inside the workflow will not be imported. Additionally, any conditions/validators/postfunctions from plugins are also not imported.

Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi September 4, 2018

Thanks for the reply. Really helps. May i just ask you another question, for the JWB import, i know screens and fields can get imported. However, conditions/validators/postfunctions dont seem to get imported. While some conditions do get imported. May i know what does not get imported via a JWB export? 

Thanks again.

Tzu Hau Chai
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2018

The conditions/validators/postfunction are indeed not imported, this is a known limitation, more details here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-33311

Esvaran Kanggala Moorthi September 6, 2018

Hi Tzu Hau Chai,

Thanks for letting me now. I tried creating a JWB export via Jira Software Cloud and import it via Jira Software Server, indeed validators and post functions were not imported. However my conditions were successfully imported. 

• Only the reporter of the issue can execute this transition.
  • Only the assignee of the issue can execute this transition.

As mentioned that conditions/validators and postfunctions dont get imported, why in this case did all conditions get imported? Sorry for asking such simple questions.. I am new to Jira still. Appreciate your help.

Tzu Hau Chai
Atlassian Team
September 6, 2018

Only some of the very generic conditions/validators can be imported, in this case it is a generic permission condition (reporter or assignee condition) which does not have references to any objects outside of the workflow.

If there is a condition/validator that references a specific custom field for example, it will not be imported. As far as I am aware anything from plugins will be excluded as well.

When you export/import the JWB workflow, you should be able to see a list of exactly what is being excluded, for example:

The items from the following plugins were removed from the workflow:
- JIRA Charting Plugin
- Service Desk Approvals Plugin

Transition: Resolve this issue

Plugin custom fields removed from this transition:
- Time in Status (JIRA Charting Plugin)

Transition: Pending

Transition: In progress

Kiran Kadali September 13, 2022

I am getting similar error

the workflow has few scriptrunner and when trying to export and import, i get below error.

The items from the following plugins were removed from the workflow:
- Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA

Suggest an answer