Workflow action

Jirauser New September 1, 2011

Hi all,

I have two workflow actions "MoveToIssue" and "ProgressIssue". Basically ProgressIssue is hidden based on some condition. So my current issue has only "MoveToIssue".

How can i perfom the following operation i,e

When i click on MoveToIssue and do some operation the issue should get transitioned to ProgressIssue (which is hidden), through postFunction.

Is there any api to get all the workflow actions irrespective of whether it is hidden or shown.

Please help

Thanks in advance

JirauserNew.

2 answers

0 votes
supportap November 27, 2012

The question never had anything to do with whether anyone thought it should be done or not. The question was how could it be done and a set of parameters given. Much like you would see on a test for a Bonus Question, where the example was a Baseball field and the "Runner" MUST TOUCH EVERY BASE (or Status) in order to have their "Run" counted. Some may only hit a "Single" and advance from one Base to the next (or Status), while some may hit a "Double"or even a "Triple". Once in awhile someone gets to hit a "Homerun". But they must still go to every Base and touch it (transition thru each status) if they try to "Bypass" the bases then their "Run" is not valid and they are thrown out.

Here's what my answer was -

Create a "Sub-Task" called "I Hit a Homerun"

Associate it with a Workflow called "Homerun"

The workflow only needs two Status/Steps "Create" and "Open" Or in this case "Create" and "Homerun"

There is a "transition" between them named "OUT OF THE PARK"

There are a series of Post Function "Transition Parent Issue"

First one transitions the Parent Issue from Homeplate to First Base (status)

Second from First Base (status) to Second Base (status)

Third from Second Base (status) to Third Base (status)

Fourth from Third Base (status) to Homeplate (status) with an additional Post Function, Increment Field Value "Runs" by 1.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2012

I think you're misunderstanding the answer. Generally, people here are trying to help with real-world situations.

You've got a perfectly valid question, to which the basic answer is "this is immensely difficult and the software doesn't have the structures you need in order to do it".

So, because we think you are asking a real-world question, we assume you actually want to do this, and hence give you a real-world answer based on what you've asked. In the real world, you've got a situation which is unnecessarily complicated, confusing and pretty much useless to the end user. The appropriate response here is to question why you think you need this complexity. I still can't see any use for this, so I'll keep the answer short - "no, it's not easy to set this up because it's pretty much useless for your users"

Your baseball analogy is a good example, but you have to remember that games are set up to run within a complex set of parameters. To extend the analogy and re-couch my answer in the same analogy - "why are you trying to make a load of baseball players play the game on a rugby field, against some croquet players?"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 1, 2011

I'm not entirely clear on what you're trying to do, but it sounds like you are trying to do two transitions at the same time, one within the other, which is confusing, not useful and technically immensely difficult.

You need to decide which transition you want to let the user execute and set up the condition to hide one and allow the other. There is one case where that doesn't apply - where you want the issue to end up in a status that depends on what the user puts in the transition screen. To do that, you shouldn't think about trying to execute a transition within another, that's an absolute nightmare - what you do is always take them to the same status, which has a transition to the other status. You then trigger that second transition by writing a listener that picks up the first transition and examines it to see if the issue should move into the other status.

Suggest an answer