Will Project Configuratior work on a JIRA instance if. . . .

Deleted user July 19, 2018

Here's the situation: We've been building a project on JIRA (software) and liked it enough to buy it.  We need to move our project to a 500 person JIRA installation.  A part of what we are doing is showing this installation - which is relatively new - what they can do with JIRA and JIRA's plugins. If they like what we show them and believe other people would like it too (the plugins) they will purchase the plugins for people to use on their JIRA installation.

Our group and the other group basically work for the same company but for different parts. We're much smaller , 10 people or less, while they are much larger, at least 500 people, so the cost is much higher for them.

So, we purchased project configurator to export our project. They downloaded an evaluation version to try with our import.  I just read, in the project config. documentation that an eval copy of proj. config will NOT work with a production environment - which they have.

Is this true? Will this prevent us from importing our project to their JIRA?  How does project Config detect a prod env - is it the database?

We were told they must have a 500 person Project Configurator to match their JIRA, Bitbucket and Confluence setup. Can't we just use our 10 person paid version, to try the import into their larger installation?

2 answers

2 votes
Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2018

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your question.

As Andrew from at Atlassian has said the licence tier for the Project Configurator plugin must match the licence tier for your Jira Add on.

As for Project Configurator we support using an evaluation licence for testing migrations on servers which are configured with a Jira Developer licence as described here or an evalaution licence.

This means that when migrating importing into a server that is configured with a paid for production Jira licence then you will need to have purchased a licence for Project Configurator as we do not support using an evaluation licence for a production migration.

We then recomend that you configure a developer Jira licence for all your staging and test servers so you can test migrations using an evaluation licence.

It is worth noting that Project Configurator does not require a licence to generate exports off the source instance and only requires a licence to be pressent on the target instance where you are importing into.

If this answer has solved your issue can you please accept it in order to mark this answer as correct for users who are searching for a similar issue.

Regards,
Kristian

1 vote
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 20, 2018

Plugin licenses for Jira have to be licensed for the same number of users that Jira is licensed for at its highest tier.  This is explained in Licensing and Pricing: Which license do I choose when purchasing an app?.   As such, you can't use the plugin license key from your 10 user Jira instance on a 500 user Jira site.

I can't speak to the limitations imposed by this particular plugin when using an evaluation license.  Most products eval licenses in Atlassian's Marketplace are fully functional for a period of 30 days.  But this product is managed by the vendor, Adaptavist, and I am unaware if they have some different product activation that only happens with non-evaluation licenses.  I have added their tags to this question to see if we can get some clarification from that team about this plugin.   It may very well be that one solution here would be to purchase the 500 user license for this plugin. 

Hey @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- @Brittany Wispell @Kristian Walker _Adaptavist_Do yall know someone at Adaptavist that could help address the plugin licensing aspects of this question?

Certainly using this plugin will make the process of migrating a project much easier in Jira.  However it is not the only way to perform a project import.  It is possible to do this without the use of 3rd party plugins.  I am not sure if you were aware of this fact.  So I would recommend reading over Restoring a project from backup.  It does explain that this is not a trivial process to complete manually, but it is possible.   It tends to require a lot of prep work for the destination Jira site before you can import this.  

Deleted user July 23, 2018

Thank You, Andrew.  

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events