Why have some tasks mysteriously disappeared from my board?

Amy Strauss March 6, 2020

Hi - I rely on my JIRA board to organize a number of discrete tasks, and for some reason many of my tasks seem to have mysteriously disappeared from the main board page. This is super concerning to me, as I keep important information and updates in these task tickets that I do not have elsewhere, and the tickets serve as a to-do list that I rely on to remember and track tasks. Even if I search the ones I remember on the main board search bar, they do not come up. I have no idea why this happened. If I navigate to the "Advanced Search" on the left of the home page, here I can search and find them. This is a relief, as I can see they still exist. But can I get them to return to my board main page and ensure this never happens again? In order for JIRA to work for me, I need any created task to remain active on the board for me to process rather than having anything automatically be moved or hidden or deleted. I still don't understand where these tasks have gone. Thank you SO much for your help! Best, Amy P.S. I have the free version, as I use this just for myself and do not need a team involved - but if this is some function of the free version, I will gladly consider the fee to ensure my tasks are reliably accessible and visible.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Victor Mutambuki
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2020

Amy,

Board is driven by filter.

1. Did you change your board filter?
2. Did you create new statuses in your workflow? If you did, the new statuses need to be represented in the columns in the board.

Victor

Hi Victor - thanks for the quick help. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to set/change filters or statuses. Can you explain what that means to help me troubleshoot the issue? Thanks!

When I try to follow the filter instructions here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/configure-filters/, I am stuck because I do not see "Board settings" on the ... dropdown menu where indicated.

1 vote
0ne-nine9 September 13, 2022

@Amy StraussI have just experienced this and can relay my workaround here.

I am using a Jira Service Management - Team Based Project on Jira Cloud.

I have noticed the following behavior:
- Older tasks go missing in Board view.

- Same tasks are not missing in the List and Issue view. I can find them by searching for them manually by key or title but only in these views.

This lead me to believe that Board view has some issues with indexing results for too long, if nothing has changed on them in a while. I have proceeded to find some of these missing issues and edit something simple in one of the fields, such as the Reporter or the Start Date. Immediately after updating any of the fields of the issue, it has reappeared in the Board view. This is independent of the status the issue is in. It will disappear after a while regardless if it's in `Work in Progress` or `Done` states.

As a workaround for this issue, I've created the following automation.

Every 2 hours, it removes the Reporter and then sets it again to `Automation for Jira` for every issue in the project. This may cause some slow performance but at least all my tasks are there in Board view when I want to see them.

image (12).png

Cheryl Brownley September 27, 2022

I hope Atlassian has this on their list of fixes as we have the same issue as Amy. This feature forms a key component of our planning and reporting. 

Like 0ne-nine9 likes this
Jenna M Krier April 28, 2023

Hi, @0ne-nine9

I am trying to replicate your automation, but it does not seem to be functioning the same way. I still can't see the older issues. It looks like the team has only completed 3 items which is far from accurate. I can see the issues are successfully updating, but they are still not showing on the board. Could you expand your edit issue fields actions? Thank you!

1 vote
Kiril Tsankov February 2, 2021

How is this solved, I have 0 idea how to apply a status filter on next-gen.

Suggest an answer