Why can't I create a company managed project?

Matt Hixson January 13, 2022

I am an Administrator in our Jira instance. I wanted to create a new company managed project so that I could use workflow schemes. The Kanban and Scrum templates only allow me to create a team managed project; the company managed section is greyed out and it says to contact my Jira Admin. The Bug Tracking project type doesn't let me proceed at all and says, "Your Jira admin is responsible for creating new projects using this template. Contact them for assistance."

Is my "Jira admin" something different than an Administrator within Jira? And if so, what permissions do I need in order to create company managed projects?

Thanks.

1 answer

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Hello Matt! To create company-managed projects, you need to have the "Administer Jira" global permission. I'd start by figuring out what being a Jira admin means in your instance's configuration, maybe you're in a Jira Admin group but that group isn't specified as having the Administer Jira permission?

In any case, your user needs to be connected to a group that has the "Administer Jira" permission for you to be able to create company-managed projects!

Hi, Samuel. Thanks for your quick reply. I've had our Jira admin create a new company managed project for us and I'm an Administrator in the project. I can see the Workflows page where it has one workflow: "Software Simplified Workflow for Project Foo". There is nothing in the Actions column and I see no way to change the workflow. This seems like a step backwards from the team managed project because there I could at least edit my workflow.

Our project type is "Software project."

Is there a way to access the stock Jira Workflow Schemes that I'm missing?

Thanks.

Sam Nadarajan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2022

Ah gotcha so you have project administrator access not Jira administrator access. Project admins don't have the ability to change workflows or workflow schemes since those schemes/workflows can be used by multiple projects in Jira, so you would need more permission levels. You can, as you observed, view all the configurations that your project is using.

It's in situations like these where a team-managed project might be better, it gives project admins more control over configuration, but at the cost of being able to share configurations across multiple Jira projects. Not sure what your company standards are for project organization in your Jira instance but it's a conversation to have.

Your Jira Admin would need to make you a Jira admin to have access to view and/or modify those configurations available for the entire Jira instance OR be willing to make adjustments on your behalf as you need. I understand it's not as ideal for you (been there before) but maybe a team-managed project might be better for this situation as well?

Hope this helps

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2022

Have your Jira admin set up non-shared workflow scheme. This will allow you to edit the workflow.

Thank you. My Jira admin was able to add the Jira software workflow to this project so all is working as expected now. Thanks.

Suggest an answer