Why can't I assign an issue to a user who should have permission?

Karin Butler July 18, 2017

I have created a User within a specific User Group and have added this User Group to the 

Assign Issues: Ability to assign issues to other people.

Yet the this user cannot assign issues to another user.

Any advice on how to debug?

1 answer

0 votes
Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2017

Karin,

1. The permission scheme  shoud be assigned to the project the issue is in
  2. The user that is assigning should have the assign issues permission
  3. The assigned user should have the assignable user permission

Check all of this with the Permission Helper at the issue screen

1. The permision scheme is assigned to the project inwhich the issue is in. 

2.  The user does have the assign issues permission.

3.  The assigned user does have the assignable user permission.

On Further debugging...

The user can create a new issue and the assignee field is active for him to assign to another user.

Once the issue is in the backlog ... the user cannot update the assignee in the right hand pannel showing the issue details.  

It only works if the user selects 'more actions' and selects assign.

How do I enable the right hand pannel assignee to be active for the user?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 18, 2017

Make sure the "assignee" field is on the "Edit screen" for the issue. 

The easy way to do this is go to the issue view (not card, or quick view, bu the full view on https://yourcompany.com/jira/browse/ABC-123 ) and click Edit.  On the screen that pops up, at the top right, use "where's my field" - it will tell you why the field is not there and link to where you can add it

Yes Thanks you!  I did realise this a few minutes ago.  The edit permissions was not set.

Thanks Everyone!

Wiebke Dietrich January 3, 2018

Do I really need the "Edit Issues" permission to be able to assign an issue to others?

At the moment my test.user has the "assignable user" permission, the "assign issues" permission, but not the "edit issues" permission. He just should be able to do an comment and assign the issue back to another user without be able to edit the issue.

Only thing which is working: when the issue is unassigned my test.user is able to use the "Assign to me" Button.

For my other test.userB with "Edit Issues" Permission it was possible to assign another user.

Would be great if someone could confirm that the "Edit Issues" is really needed and if there is a workaround for my problem.

Thanks in advance :)

Like Kimberlee Kraus likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Yes, assigning an issue is an "edit" as well as an assign function.

Like Calvin Burns likes this
Wiebke Dietrich January 3, 2018

Thank you for your fast response!

mostafa December 15, 2021

Hi,

Is the (assignable user) permission a must so other users can assign issues to me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 15, 2021

Yes.  You must be an assignable user in order to have an issue assigned to you.

mostafa December 15, 2021

Suggest an answer