It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Where can I manage labels?

How to rename or create a new label in Jira?

Do I need to be an admin? can't find a place for that

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Nov 02, 2017

You cannot manage labels centrally, it can only be done via issues. For example if you need to rename one you would have do a JQL to select all issues with the label, bulk edit them and add the new label, then bulk edit again to remove the old label.

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Nov 02, 2017

Another option would be to use one of the apps available to manage labels. Just search on labels in the Marketplace

Like Brenda Maxwell likes this

Does that mean that once a developer adds a new Label to the list, it can not be removed, or edited?  Maybe I am not reading this right, but that seems like an over site!  I understand that an issues label can be changed, but if someone adds an offensive, or incorrect Label to the available list, then it's stuck in that list for good...

Mikael Sandberg Community Leader Oct 21, 2019

@Adam Wainberg A label can be removed, as I mentioned above you have to remove it from all issues that have the label in question.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

334 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you