When I move a card from one column to another, my display moves.

paul losfeld
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
June 26, 2020

When I move a card from one column to another, it is put at the end of the target column, and my display moves.
when you have a lot of tickets, it's very annoying.
each time, I have to re scroll up to find where I was.
Does anyone have the solution?

3 answers

2 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Hi Paul - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Here's my limited understanding of how all of this ranking stuff works. I can't even verify that I am correct in my assumptions because it makes my head hurt to think about it as well. 

My theory is that when you use the ORDER BY Rank for the board filter that it somehow ranks the issues in relation to other issues on the board as to when the respective issues come onto the board. 

So when you create a new card, it always goes to the bottom of the column (usually Backlog, but it depends on where that status is mapped and whether Backlog is even your first status after create). 

But from that point on, as you move a card from one column to the next, it drops into the order based on when the other cards in that column first appeared on the board. Somewhere in Jira cards are being tracked in relation to which boards they actually appear on and when. That's why Nave and Actionable Agile and other tools can run reports based on a board. 

But here's the problem with sorting by a field other than Rank:

1. It applies to all columns and your Backlog. That might be what you want, but just realize that you can't sort by different parameters per column of a board.

2. You lose the ability to drag cards up and down to prioritize them. 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 26, 2020

Hi Paul,

I also find the placement of moved items distracting...as a work-around, I end up quickly selecting/de-selecting quick filters to reset the view to the top.

And, I created a suggestion for the ability to sort board contents independently of the backlog.  Take a look here: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-18908

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Jens Madsen
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
November 24, 2021

BUMP This issue is sooo annoying. Anyone from Atlassian with a solution?

0 votes
Sajit Nair
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 26, 2020

Hey @paul losfeld  -

try sorting the information with recently updated being on top. maybe that will help.

paul losfeld
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
June 26, 2020

Thank you, I think it is the good way, but I don't know how I can sort my backlog ? I see the filter : "recently updated" but not sorting

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events