What other permissions are dependent on the Browse Projects Permissions?

fiona_hd March 27, 2019

I'm studying for the ACP-600 and one of the important concepts to master is about the Browse Projects Permission.  I came upon this statement as I was reading the Managing project permissions documentation page:

Permission to browse projects, use the Issue Navigator and view individual issues (except issues that have been restricted via issue-level security). Many other permissions are dependent on this permission, e.g. the 'Work On Issues' permission is only effective for users who also have the 'Browse Projects' permission.

So what other permissions are dependent on this permission and how are they dependent? 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 27, 2019

I'd say this is poorly phrased in the doc, but I am not sure how to improve it clearly or without writing an essay.

My instinct is to say "use your common sense" - if someone cannot see an issue, then they should not be able to edit it, log work on it, link to it, reschedule it and so-on.  I think that's probably all you need for the exam - "can't see it = can't do stuff with it".  That includes reporting on it.

It didn't always used to be that way - in older versions of Jira, you could transition issues you couldn't see using the API for example!  But most of those have been cleared up.

There are some quirks - some actions will have an indirect effect (for example, ranking issues that you can see without knowing there's one in the list you can't means you accidentally re-rank it, but you don't really care, because the ranking still works for the ones you can see and the invisible one still fits), and the really odd one is that you can set up Jira so that a person can create an issue and instantly get a warning that they can't see it (and hence do anything else with it), but that does have some uses.

Suggest an answer