It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

What links a JIRA issue to Bitbucket commits/PRs

Hello,

We are using the server versions of both JIRA and Bitbucket. When I view JIRA project releases I can view issues belonging to that release. The Development column shows commits and the merge status of pull requestsl linking to those tickets. 

I see commits linked from having the JIRA issue ID in the commit message. What else creates this link? Branches with a JIRA issue ID in the name? Anything else?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

JIRA issues are linked when you mention the JIRA key in Bitbucket, either in the branch name, as part of the description or comment in a pull request or as part of the commit comment (as you have seen). 

Here is some more information about the integration, https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucketserver/jira-integration-776639874.html

Perfect. Thank you!

Do user forks not apply?

I committed to a user repo under my account, which displayed the commit fine in the Development area in the JIRA issue.

When I attempted the same in a forked repo under my account, the commit did not display in the JIRA issue.

I also tested with a fork that is under a project, not a user account, and that displays fine.

Thanks.

I've run into this just now, I find that issues are linked in the Bitbucket PR if I mention the JIRA ticket in the git branch name or in the git commit message, but they if I mention them in the PR description or in a comment then the text is hyperlinked but the ticket number does not appear at the top as a linked ticket. This doesn't seem to be the expected behaviour, going by the answer above?

Automatic linking with a JIRA ticket by mentioning the key in a commit doesn't work for me either (though it used to work in the hosted Bitbucket). Has anything changed since then?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

302 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you