What are the known issues in installing JIRA 4.3.4 on 64-bit Windows

Shankar Rao Pala July 28, 2011

Hi,

We are planning to migrate from JIRA version 3.11 to version 4.3.4. The production server will be a 64-bit windows machine. As part of this, we require below information. Could you please assist us.

We would want to know whether there are any known issues in installing JIRA on a 64-bit windows machine. This is a bit urgent. Please let us know your inputs ASAP.

We would like to know which versions of following software's should be used when installing JIRA on a 64-bit machine.
1. JDK
2. Apache Tomcat 6
3. MySQL

Thanks,

Shankar

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2011

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Supported+Platforms doesn't list any known issues and tells you what versions of software to use.

Shankar Rao Pala July 28, 2011

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the prompt response.

Could you please let me know whether we can use 32-bit JDK installer and 32-bit MYSQL database installer in our JIRA installation on 64-bit windows machine?

Thanks for your help!

Shankar

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2011

You can, but I wouldn't bother - you've got a 64 bit system, you might as well use it!

Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 7, 2011

You WILL have to replace the tomcat6.exe binaries if you are using 64bit JRE with Tomcat 6, as I mention below

0 votes
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2011

Shankar,

The main thing you will need to manually address is that the tomcat binaries that come with JIRA do not work with 64 bit Java when setting up Windows Services.

You can get the binaries from here

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/tomcat/tc6.0.x/tags/TOMCAT_6_0_16/res/procrun/amd64/

You can simply replace the ones in the bin directory

Then you can add JIRA as a Windows service with

service install JIRA
0 votes
J. Caldwell
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2011

I agree with Nic. If you have a 64 bit setup, use it. It allows for more memory allocation, gives better performance.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events