Users group chief

Miroslav Urban April 22, 2012

In our company we have a technical division where JIRA is used. This division is divided to departments (department of automation, department of transport telematics, department of new technologies...) Each department have about ten employes and one chief. When we work on project, in some cases are situation, that some issue is assigned to employee from another department. In this case I need to notify emplyee who is issue assigned and also chief of this emplyee. In other words I need something like group chief, who will be notified if issue is assigned to anybody from his group. Is it possible to solve this ? Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

As Nic told you, there's nothing that comes out of the box.

You can try to place the 'chiefs' as managers on the componets / project leads. This will definitely mark them as 'chiefs' and then script your interactions

We did a lot of things like this using our own plugin. However, this plugin ( https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.keplerrominfo.jira.plugins.jjupin ) is commercial.

You can do the same stuff using Jamie's Script Runner (which is free: https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner ). There are also other plugins available

Miroslav Urban April 23, 2012

Thank you for your help

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 22, 2012

Since the aim of this is to inform the chief about new issues being assigned to his team, this could be a probable workaround.

Create a filter with the following JQL.

assignee in membersOf('group in which all team members belong of the particular chief') AND assignee CHANGED AFTER -15m

Each manager can create a subscription for his filter for every 15m.

This will result in the chief being informed about every new issue being assigned to the team within a maximum period of 15 minutes. And this comes with the advantage also that the issues getting assigned in a span of 15minutes gets aggregated in a single mail.

This 15 minutes could be changed to whatever higher during to avoid mail spam.

Thank you, this method looks like good. At tommorow I will try to make this as you wrote. May be, that I ask you more detailed, because Im very novice with JIRA and looking around if that software will be th right one for us.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 23, 2012

You are always welcome :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 22, 2012

Not really, the data structures don't have anything that would distinguish any particular member of a group - they're either in the group or they're not.

I'm not sure you could begin to do this with the existing structure at all. My instinct would be to take all your "chiefs" and put them in another group as well as the groups they run, which would identify them ok, or put something in the user properties. But noether of those would help you with the notifications because they don't support complex rules about who to send stuff to.

I think you'll need to write code to handle this need.

Thank you for information

Suggest an answer