User showing as Inactive

Harish Bangera November 5, 2018

The user is active in Active Directory(AD)

But, in JIRA it is showing as Inactive. User is unable to login.

6 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

1 vote
Jeff Hizer May 20, 2019

I just got back from vacation and we have an instance that is not synchronizing with AD correctly.  A recently added user was showing as inactive with an incomplete group membership listing.  Verified the account and groups were all done correctly based on the filteres in use.  I tried removing the user from the group, synched it, readded to the group, synched again but it still would not update the directory correctly.  Ended up turning off Incremental Synchronization in the User Directory/Advanced settings and after one more sync, all of the issues were resolved.

PhilHannentElmstone November 27, 2019

Full sync worked for me. We have a small team, it would be good that if the license type was the 10 users version, that it default to full sync.

1 vote
Deleted user November 5, 2018

Hi @Harish Bangera,

Was the user ever deactivated in AD?

Thanks

No Danny. Please help

Deleted user November 6, 2018

My line of thinking was along a similar route as @Raynard Rhodes as I found a similar question

The steps listed are: 

1. Have the reinstated user log out of their computer.
  2. Administer their account in Active Directory.
    1. Mark their account back to "Disabled"
    2. Move their account object to a different OU
  3. Within JIRA, synchronize the LDAP directory.
  4. Within Active Directory
    1. Mark their account back to "Enabled"
    2. Move their account object to desired OU
  5. Within JIRA
    1. Synchronize the LDAP directory.
    2. Verify user account is NOT "Deactivated"
0 votes
Sebastian Mendel October 30, 2020

Edit your configured user directory (/plugins/servlet/embedded-crowd/directories/list) and uncheck:

• "Update User attributes on Login"

This allows you to enable/disable users in Jira.

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

The system admin was able to go into the PostGre database and activate the account from there. He also had to modify the display name to remove the "[X]". I'm not sure why this happened.

After this syncing works normally and the user is able to login.

0 votes
Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2018

I also failed to mentioned I check the audit logs for this particular person. This happened the the final week of October, but an hour later it was switched to active. We didn't notice at the time because he doesn't always login. This time we noticed because it remained inactive after switching.

October 24th ~2:30pm it was switched to inactive by Jira

October 24th ~3:30pm it was switched to active by Jira

During that time nothing major was going on, no changes were taking place. This was the only time since we've implemented Jira that this has happened to this individual. I have not checked other profiles.

Venkata Sagar Ganesh Rao Mahendrakar December 6, 2022

Hi @Raynard Rhodes 

I have an same issue. can you please help me

One of my user is inactive in jira but he is active in AD and he is able to access jira too but in UI showing as INACTIVE

Can you please help me

Thanks 

Sagar 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 5, 2018

The flag in AD is separate to the flag in Jira.  Go to Jira's user management, find the user and turn off the "inactive" flag.

Raynard Rhodes
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 5, 2018

Jira does not give the option because the user is managed in AD not Jira. Is there another option? I'm having this same issue for a single user and it's odd.

Active Directory they show as Active;

Jira shows them as Inactive;

I have disabled, changed OU, sync Jira with AD, changed OU, and re-enabled user, sync Jira with AD -- Issue persists;

Is there something on the server that can be changed?

Hi Nic,

I went to JIRA's user management,found the user, but there is no inactive flag to turn off. I am attaching the screenshot for your reference

Akshay.png

Heather Linsk November 6, 2018

I am also having the same issue.

Like Lisa Ice likes this
Harish Bangera November 13, 2018

HI Nic & others,

Please help, I am stuck with this query. Dont know what to do and whom to contact

Florian Schomakers November 12, 2021

Hi @Harish Bangera 
have you found a solution to this problem?

Regards
Florian

Sebastian Mendel November 19, 2021

@Florian Schomakers 

see my comment from Oct 30, 2020

Like Florian Schomakers likes this

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question