User cannot set parent link without Portfolio permission

Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2016

Hi,

We have Portfolio for JIRA and have limited the access to Portfolio to users who work in a team-of-teams.

But we do want normal users to be able to set the Parent Link from within the Create / View / Edit Issue screens.

But users now get the error "You are not authorised to perform this operation". And it seems that the Portfolio Administration only contains roles that allow users to do things with the Portfolio Plans.

So: is there a way to allow users to set the Parent Link (and Team) in an Issue without also giving them permissions to work with Plans?

5 answers

2 votes
Rik de Valk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 25, 2017

A Suggestion  has been raised for this in October 2016. You can view it and vote for it here:https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JPO-1681

Satya Brata Debta June 20, 2017

Hi, did you got any suggestion on this .I am also facing this issue ,if you aware the solution pls share with us ,will appreciate your help 

Tomasz Wieckowski
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 10, 2019

This issue has been fixed in Portfolio for Jira Server 3.3.0.

Now users do not need to have Portfolio permissions in order to set the Parent Link, Team and Target dates in Jira. 

Regards,
Tomasz

Like Taini Streater likes this
1 vote
Andrew Ukasick December 11, 2018

This is a big problem for us too.  Dev teams need to be able to link their Epics to Features (a portfolio level work item). But the only way that they can is if we give them the ability to create Portfolio plans. I don't want 1000 garbage portfolio plans being created by every user out there. yet all the users need to be able to set the parent of an epic.  Surely there must be some kind of workaround???  I have added jira-software-users to the 'Portfolio Restricted User' permission but that only prevents them from being able to not only create plans, but also use them to mangle all the work-items. At least that's something, but I need to prevent people from creating tons of crap 'Portfolios' because they're curious and can. The few ones we really want people to see will be completely lost in all the clutter.  I'm not exaggerating. When there are thousands of users, that WILL happen.  

Can anyone help? Any ideas?  Anything from an add-on that we could leverage??

1 vote
Bryan September 27, 2017

Hi there,

We're running into the same issue, but we have a possible solution depending on your org. When you add editors to a plan on Portfolio v2.0 or later, the plan becomes read only to everyone else. So, add anyone who might need to edit Portfolio parent-links as Portfolio for JIRA Users, then add specific editors to the plan who can interact with and manipulate data on the Portfolio for JIRA side of the house.

The problem with this solution is that any Portfolio for JIRA user can then create Portfolio Plans.

Hope this helps,

Bryan

Greg Sarcona March 21, 2018

This only allows people to edit the Parent Link via editing the issue within Portfolio.  When editing an issue (e.g., a Feature) to add the Initiative as a Parent Link, the error still pops up.

I'm using Portfolio on my Cloud instance.

Like Taini Streater likes this
Taini Streater June 21, 2019

same problem.  Cloud Instance as well.  fix please!

0 votes
Saskia Weigand March 24, 2017

Is there any fix planned for this?

0 votes
Marc Turner February 23, 2017

We are also having this "problem"

Suggest an answer