Upload Excel view back into Jira

Roy Roy December 14, 2011

In Jira you can view Jira issues, tasks, etc. as an Excel worksheet. That workseet can be edited. Is there a way then to upload/import that edited worksheet back into Jira to update the edited fields in Jira?

This would enable a more optimal way to review Jira issues quickly than having to click on each one individually, then edit it, then return to the overview and look at the next issue.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 14, 2011

No

The point of the Excel download is for people to grab information to manipulate for reports. It's a convenience, and it's one-way.

It's not "optimal" to do updates that are not within the dataset you want to change, and a download is, by definition, obsolescent the instant you have it, so you really don't want to be updating it anyway. Consider the simple case - you download a sheet, I update the issue summary a couple of seconds later. Your information is out of date, and if you upload a change to summary, you're going to break what I've done without even knowing.

A "more optimal" way to review and update <shared information> is for your users to do it in <shared information system>

Roy Roy December 14, 2011

We would NOT use this capability (if it existed) in the mode you described. We have a weekly staff meeting and review all the task and issue items. We update status of those real time as we review them. Doing this on a spreadsheet is much faster than bouncing around on the Jira web pages. When we are done it would be nice to be able to port that spreadsheet back into Jira format. We would not allow multiple users to view in spreadsheet then port back to Jira.

Makeupchick 101
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
September 29, 2016

Hello we are wanting to do something similar. We currently upload our schedules to JIRA but we want to schedule right from JIRA instead...however we cant' due to the limited functions...this is what we need or an add on I could get IT to work on....

We basically need a way in JIRA to be able to click on the key reporter whatever like in Excel and select by the data...we know we can click it and it sort by it but we want to actually fill in black information in the future and in order to do this we would need to filter.

Excel Shot.PNGJIRA shot.PNG

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events