Upgrading JIRa from 4.2.4 to 4.4, Windows Standalone. Conflict in published instructions....

BobH
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 11, 2011

This is a Windows XP/Pro installation, with a co-resident MS SQL-Server 2008/R2 database that contains information I wish to bring across. All environmentals for the new 4.4 will remain the same. The installation is Standalone, JIRA as a Service. I've chosen"Manual Migration". After backups, it seems the general path is to install the new JIRA 4.4 instance standalone, repoint it to the old database and JIRA Application directories, and start it, at which point it presumably updates the database structures, rebuilds the plugin libraries et al. However, the instructions seem to be a bit self-contradictory. I'm specifically wondering about how far to take the installation of the new instance before intercepting it and repointing it at the old data/metadata. Through Setup Wizard? Auto-Start new JIRA, but avoid Setup Wizard? Something else? From the web manual:

"Step 3.1 - Installing JIRA Standalone" kicks off the automated installer, which as its last step starts up the new JIRA instance. This startup is automatic, and is not under control of the user. 3.1 written instructions then take you into the setup wizard.

"Step 3.2 - Migrating Configuration" outlines manual changes to config files to traqnsfer setting that are to be performed "...before you start your new JIRA installation...". Too late!

Any guidance as to what should really be done? Thanks all...

1 answer

1 vote
Veenu Bharara
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 14, 2011

I am not able to find the exact docs you are referring to. But let me clarify some basic things. The automated upgrader only works for version 4.3 and greater, hence you have selected the right option to go with manual upgrade. For manual upgrade, follow point 3.3 on this page http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Upgrading+JIRA+Manually. Use the Config tool to update database setting & JIRA home for JIRA 4.4 and then start JIRA. When you start JIRA 4.4, JIRA will start with your existing database and home directory and will perform upgrade. Remember to backup your data before you perform upgrade.

Also if by chance your database schema name is JIRA(SQL Server Specific issue), you should watch out for https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-25329

Let us know how you went with upgrade....

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events