Upgrade from Jira 3.13 to Jira 4.3

Philippe Robichaud June 14, 2011

Hi there,

we currently have Jira version 3.13.2 installed on our environment. Which upgrade guide should we follow to end up with Jira 4.3?

Thanks.

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Martin Cooper
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2011

You can go direct from 3.13 to 4.3.4 but need to follow the migrating to Another server route - see Jobin Kuruvilla's post for the link.

If you dont mind doing two upgrades then a jump to a 4.x version will allow you to use the 'insitu' database upgrade to move to 4.3.4, which is simpler, instead of an xml export and import you just point the new installation to your existing Database. This has become the recommended upgrade route.

4.4 does drastically change the installation and upgrade process further, but this is only beta at present and I would recommend going to 4.3.x before considering this as is another major change (and UI revamp).

Key points to consider:

4.0 introduced lots of UI changes and was a major upgrade

4.3 introduced the Crowd LDAP stack and completely revamped the entire user management features

So if you make use of any external user management, you may be better off moving to 4.0 or 4.2 first to de-risk the complexity of the upgrade. If just use internal Jira user management then can go straight to 4.3.4.

But always confirm plugin and integration compatibility first as this may also have a bearing on the best route or indeed the latest version you can upgrade to and maintain compatibility.

3 votes
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 14, 2011

Here's the official documentation:

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA043/Upgrading+JIRA

1 vote
Pepe
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 28, 2011

If you don't wait for 4.4 I would upgrade 3.13.2 to 4.0 and then to 4.3. Those were both pretty big jumps but we've done exactly that path and it went smoothly. Your biggest considerations are any plugins you use (especially custom ones), if you are integrated to AD/OpenLDAP, other points of integration (i.e. Confluence User Delegation to JIRA), and custom reports that hit the database. All of those things changed pretty dramatically from 3.13.

1 vote
Andrew Morin June 14, 2011

I would wait for the 4.4 release that is currently in Beta. The upgrade process has been completely redone and is worth the wait.

0 votes
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2011
I encountered deadlock once i did an in-place upgrade from 3.13.4 to 4.4 EAP 3. This might have been fixed meanwhile bit i *never* had problems when i restored my 3.14.4 XML backup to a fresh 4.4 instance.
0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2011

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events