Unable to create sprints

Neelima Paturu March 18, 2016

In-spite of having Mange sprint permission and admin right, my team leads are not able to create & completed sprints. Please suggest.

10 answers

5 votes
Michael Partyka
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 18, 2016

Hi Neelima!

to do this you need permission in project permission scheme  to schedule and edit issue.

You probably dont have this schedule

Check also this:

Why can't I create a Sprint?

• You don't have the right permissions: You can only create a new sprint if you have the 'Administer Projects' permission in all projects included in this board's backlog.
  • Ranking is not enabled: You can only create sprints, if you have enabled ranking for your board.
1 vote
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2021

You may have to check additional permissions for the role must also have Schedule Issues and Edit Issues. (See link below)

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/permissions-for-classic-projects/ under the Manage Sprints section

Steve March 22, 2021

I think that was it, I just added them and now I am seeing the Create Sprint button.

Thanks a ton!

Happy Spring!

Steve

Like Kathi Paquet likes this
1 vote
Jay April 9, 2020

Experiencing this today on our Jira Server instance on v8.5.3.
I'm failing to truly understand what is the benefit of imposing this extra layer of limitation albeit the users having Manage Sprint permissions for the filter's resulting project artifacts. 

The official answer below is ridiculously odd. You're telling us we need to give this permission to EVERY project on our instance!?

A filter query is considered complex when JIRA Software can't determine which projects will be returned by the query. When this happens, JIRA Software will require users to have the 'Manage Sprints' permission for all projects in the instance — essentially, you'll need to manually set users to have this permission for all projects.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-802592462.html

1 vote
Mark Brown March 21, 2016

From further investigation, it would appear as though this may actually be a known issue in v7.1 as Atlassian elludes to their being an issue in their official documentation: https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-802592462.html

"A filter query is considered complex when JIRA Software can't determine which projects will be returned by the query. When this happens, JIRA Software will require users to have the 'Manage Sprints' permission for all projects in the instance — essentially, you'll need to manually set users to have this permission for all projects."

Testing this further, in v.7.1.1, I set up 2 agile boards, both associated with the same project. The project in question used a permissions scheme that meant anyone whom was a project administrator had the 'manage sprint' and 'schedule issue' permissions. A user was given the project administrator role. The first agile board had a filter query along the following lines:

issue type != test AND (project = "Project X" OR custom_field = "Project X")

When choosing 'configure board' on this board, JIRA reported that the associated filter was 'complex'. As a result, the individual whom had project administrator rights on all projects that contained issues matching the above filter was unable to to perform any sprint operations (create sprint, start sprint and complete sprint).

The second agile board has a simplified query along the following lines:

issue type != test AND (project = "Project X")

When selecting 'configure board' on the second agile board associated with this filter, JIRA was able to list the projects associated with this query i.e. 'Project X'. When the same individual went to this second agile board, sure enough, they were then able to create, start and complete sprints.

Whilst the official documentation suggests simplifying queries to prevent filters being deemed complex and the projects associated with the query not being able to be identified, this is still a loss of functionality from previous JIRA versions.

In past versions of JIRA, you could have complex queries driving the contents of an agile board and so far as a user had the requisite permissions across all projects for which their were returned issues meeting the filter, the operation of create and completing sprints were available.

Is this a deliberate move by Atlassian to prevent users from creating agile boards which pull in issues from multiple projects, making it harder to manage sprints which may be populated by issues from different projects or is it a known issue (dare I say, 'defect') that will be addressed in a future release?

0 votes
Steve March 22, 2021

I am having the exact same issue now, went through 
https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-802592462.html

and am still unable to create sprints.  I can edit or delete them but I can't figure out how to get 'create sprint' to appear for a few users who are in project admin, project owner, 'sprint managers' all who have permission to manage sprints in the permissions scheme.

Can someone please help explain what is going on?  We are on Cloud release of JIRA

0 votes
Wade Sturman May 20, 2019

so i'm unable to create sprints, but every time the button just turns opaque (it's 'clickable' to start), and then i get an error saying "the request timed out". 

Has anyone seen this before?

0 votes
Kathi Paquet
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 15, 2018

Will this be addressed for I have the same issue on the Cloud Version where the person cannot Manage Sprints

0 votes
Adrian Bugler August 11, 2016

We have just upgraded to 7.1.9 and have the same problem. The team leaders who were able to create and stop sprints before can no longer do so. Only System Administrator (Me) can do this now. Any idea how to overcome this?

0 votes
Mark Brown March 20, 2016

We have noticed exactly the same issue as is being reported here. Having upgraded to v7.1.1, a number of users whom are associated with a project role which is mapped to the 'manage sprints' permission, are unable to create sprints. Prior to upgrading to JIRA v7, this wasn't an issue... these users were able to create sprints, but obviously with different permissions as 'manage sprints' was only introduced in v7. The guidance covered in official documentation (https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver071/using-manage-sprints-permission-for-advanced-cases-802592462.html) has been followed, but this has not resolved the issue.

Appreciate more insight into what may be the cause of this issue?

0 votes
Phill Fox
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 18, 2016

There were challenges with the release of the "Sprint permission" that mean that certain versions do not behave as expected. Can you provide the JIRA version number that you are on so we can confirm if that impacts you.

Suggest an answer