Turn off LDAP connection pooling in JIRA

M October 29, 2013

How can I turn off LDAP connection pooling in JIRA?

Programmatically, this is normally done in Java as follows:

Hashtable<String, String> env = new Hashtable<>();
env.put(Context.INITIAL_CONTEXT_FACTORY, "com.sun.jndi.ldap.LdapCtxFactory");
env.put(Context.PROVIDER_URL, "ldap://my.ldap.server:389");
env.put("com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool", "false");
DirContext ctx = new InitialDirContext(env);
// use ctx to run LDAP queries

The important thing to note is that com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool is not a VM argument. Ie launching the JVM with it passed in has no effect. With this in mind, how can I get JIRA to supply com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool=false to the InitialDirContext constructor?

Thanks!

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

The important thing to note is that com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool is not a VM argument.

However, some of the settings are according to Oracle JVM docs:

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/jndi/tutorial/ldap/connect/config.html

You may be able to set one of these to a value that precludes pooling from being allowed for your connections?
In particular I am thinking:

• com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.authentication
    A list of space-separated authentication types of connections that may be pooled
  • or com.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.protocol
    A list of space-separated protocol types of connections that may be pooled.
M November 3, 2013

Hi Mark, thanks a lot for the help. I'll give those properties a go and report back here!

M November 4, 2013

Okay, it turns out that this does work! It does seem a bit of a "hack", but I'll take it! Here is the output from netstat:

[root@jira01 ~]# netstat -ap | grep ldap
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:172.24.102.15:42130  ::ffff:146.195.128.254:ldap TIME_WAIT   -
tcp        0      0 ::ffff:172.24.102.15:42129  ::ffff:146.195.128.254:ldap TIME_WAIT   -

(Previously, I had a bunch of ESTABLISHED connections with PIDs at the end.)

For anyone else reading this, I added the following to setenv.sh:

JAVA_OPTS="${JAVA_OPTS} -Dcom.sun.jndi.ldap.connect.pool.protocol=DIGEST-MD5"

It would be nice if there was a more official way to turn off LDAP connection pooling in JIRA/Crowd. Should I raise a ticket with Atlassian support for this?

Thanks again!

-Muel

0 votes
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 3, 2013

Currently JIRA does not provide any way to turn off LDAP conneciton pooling.

According to the Crowd documentation this is available in the Crowd server:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CROWD/Configuring+the+LDAP+Connection+Pool

So in theory you should be able to connect JIRA to Crowd and Crowd to LDAP and turn off the pooling in the Crowd server. However, reading the Oracle docs and the Crowd source code, I am not sure if this will actually work ... please test first if you want to try this.

0 votes
mlassau_atlassian
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 3, 2013

Currently there is no

Suggest an answer