Trying to set up Jira for 5 depts, each with initiatives and projects

Andreas Ericzen November 12, 2014

Hello, first post and since I'm new to Jira, I hope it will be an easy one to answer..

Situation:
Working for a small company (70 employees) with 5 departments, each with its own initiatives and projects.

The company has JIRA already (v6.2) but it's not being used in a way that provides a structured visibility across the departments.  Key people has created their own projects and added tasks in a way that works for them.

My Questions:
How do I best structure JIRA to hold activities in each department? Is the best/easiest way to have each department as a unique "Project"?  Should I use Epic, New Feature, Story, and Task to arbitrary structure the work under each department? (I.e., I understand that the name of an initiative is not necessary a "New Feature", but I'm thinking about using the hierarchy of the JIRA types to organize the work from high-level to detailed.

Or, is there a better way to structure the information per department and use "Project" as the highest level for departments' initiatives?

The key objective is to provide executive visibility across the organization. I want to provide filters and boards to show the key initiatives and their statuses with the ability to drill down and review key tasks and their ETCs, progress, etc.  E.g., "Accounting Department has 3 main initiatives, each one has 2-4 key objectives, each objectives a few tasks, etc"

Thanks for any guidance!!
AE

2 answers

0 votes
Andreas Ericzen November 13, 2014

Thank you Bhushan,

I will definitely look into JIRA Portifolio, thank you.

Also, I would be interested in hearing other options that might be less costly/complex and still meets the majority of objectives.  E.g., I have found mentions about "Project Categories" and how it can be used to organize JIRA issues between projects and departments across the organization.

Thanks again, please keep the info flowing!

AE

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 12, 2014

Hi Andreas,

You might find JIRA Portfolio suitable for your requirements.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/portfolio

Suggest an answer