Tasks vs Subtasks

Douglas Cuffman May 7, 2021

I'm trying to understand the concepts and intended usage regarding tasks vs subtasks.

When I create a new story (NextGen project), I can create a subtask from within the story after it's been created. However, I am not able to create a task.

I would logically expect that a subtask is well, a sub-level of a task and a task is a sub-level of a story.

Next question: if my team tracks their time using a task or a subtask does this get reflected in the story time tracking?

Thank you for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Jira is a bit more flexible than that, it does not demand that you name issue types in any specific way (other than Epic)

The hierarchy Software has is Epic -> Issue -> Sub-task

You can only have one issue type of Epic, but you can have many Issue level types and in company-managed (classic) projects, you can have meany sub-task level types.

A quick glance at the one I'm currently logged into shows:

• Epic
  • Issue types:  Issue, Task, Story, Bug, Feature, Question and and and
  • Sub-task issue types:  technical task, documentation, deployment and and and

So, to be able to create a task, you just need an admin to make that type available in your project (they may have to add a new issue type for it).  If task is an issue level task, you can create one by clicking the on of the create new issue options.  If it's a sub-task level, then you click "create sub-task" from within an issue view.

For the time-tracking question, yes, your people can log time on either the issue level or the sub-task.  There is a secondary set of fields that roll up a display as well, so that you can do things like:

Remaining estimate:  Remaining estimate on this issue

Sigma Remaining estimate:  Remaining estimate on this issue and all its sub-tasks added together

(However, remember that if you're doing scrum, sub-tasks are not sprint items, so data on them such as time-tracking is not used in scrum estimate calculations)

Douglas Cuffman May 7, 2021

Thank you very much, this clears it up for me and provides some direction going forward.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events