Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Tasks vs Subtasks

I'm trying to understand the concepts and intended usage regarding tasks vs subtasks.

When I create a new story (NextGen project), I can create a subtask from within the story after it's been created. However, I am not able to create a task.

I would logically expect that a subtask is well, a sub-level of a task and a task is a sub-level of a story.

Next question: if my team tracks their time using a task or a subtask does this get reflected in the story time tracking?

Thank you for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted

Jira is a bit more flexible than that, it does not demand that you name issue types in any specific way (other than Epic)

The hierarchy Software has is Epic -> Issue -> Sub-task

You can only have one issue type of Epic, but you can have many Issue level types and in company-managed (classic) projects, you can have meany sub-task level types.

A quick glance at the one I'm currently logged into shows:

• Epic
  • Issue types:  Issue, Task, Story, Bug, Feature, Question and and and
  • Sub-task issue types:  technical task, documentation, deployment and and and

So, to be able to create a task, you just need an admin to make that type available in your project (they may have to add a new issue type for it).  If task is an issue level task, you can create one by clicking the on of the create new issue options.  If it's a sub-task level, then you click "create sub-task" from within an issue view.

For the time-tracking question, yes, your people can log time on either the issue level or the sub-task.  There is a secondary set of fields that roll up a display as well, so that you can do things like:

Remaining estimate:  Remaining estimate on this issue

Sigma Remaining estimate:  Remaining estimate on this issue and all its sub-tasks added together

(However, remember that if you're doing scrum, sub-tasks are not sprint items, so data on them such as time-tracking is not used in scrum estimate calculations)

Thank you very much, this clears it up for me and provides some direction going forward.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you