Swimlane not working

Deleted user January 17, 2020

Hi Community!

I've a question because this has never happened to me.

I'm using an old version of Jira in this work (I think its 6.1.... yes... that old) and I have a problem with the swimlanes.

I want to see the basic "Stories" swimlane, but it doesnt work and I have no idea why, i've been searching around and found nothing. When I select another swimlane it works (for example assignees). But not for Stories.

I dont know what information give you, so i will spit them out:

- Its a dashboard

- More than 10 people 

- It has another dashboard with "Stories" swimlane and it works there, but not in my team dashboard..

I dont know what else, feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas.

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2020

Hi @[deleted]

I assume you mean Board rather than Dashboard in this instance?

A few simple things to check:

• Ensure the stories have sub-tasks. Stories with no sub-tasks do not become swimlanes. If no stories on the board have them, you'll have no swimlanes and just a normal set of stories in the column.
  • Ensure the sub-tasks aren't being blocked in your board filter. Check the filter in Board > Configure > General > Filter Query - and edit to include the sub-task issue type(s) if needed.

^ Let us know if neither of these work :)

Ste

Deleted user January 20, 2020

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I think the problem was that QA were adding bugs as new issues instead of sub-tasks, this sucks... I cant even transform the "bug" into a "bug task" or sub-task.

Thanks a lot Stephen, you were not Wrong, you where Wright all the way.

Take care and have a nice week!.

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 21, 2020

Thanks @[deleted]

You can convert a story-level issue into a sub-task-level issue if you need to. To do this:

1. Locate the bug you wish to convert
  2. Depending on your hosting type (Cloud or Server), select Options (3-dots icon) or More - and then press Convert to Subtask
  3. Choose a parent for the Sub-task and continue through the steps

^ If the option is unavailable it will be because your story-level issues do not share the same screens/workflows as your sub-task-level. Instead you'll need to:

1. Locate the bug you wish to convert
  2. Select Options or More - and then press Move
  3. Keep the issue in the same project - but change the issue type to Sub-task
  4. Choose a parent for the Sub-task and continue through the steps

A final option to consider is if you can't convert to Sub-task because you don't have these issue types - you could link the bugs to the stories using linked issues and try to create swimlanes based on the links (using JQL swimlanes) - but you would have to update these each sprint so it would be a little manual.

Ste

Guilherme Bombonato Vaz de Mello February 22, 2021

Hi @Stephen Wright _Elabor8_ 

I'm having the same issue. But I really tried everything. Please help me!

Project name: EVA

1. Created sub-task issues

Jira5.PNG

2. Configured Workflow Scheme

Jira6.PNG

3. Configured Kanban Board

Jira1.PNG

Jira2.PNG

4. Created Sub-task inside Issues

Jira7.PNG

5. And the Board is shown like that...

Jira3.PNG

Like Simone Longoni likes this
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 23, 2022

Hi @Guilherme Bombonato Vaz de Mello 

Did you find a resolution to this issue?

Ste

Stephanie.Allison March 25, 2022

I am seeing the same issue. Is there a resolution? 

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2022

Hi @Stephanie.Allison 

Which issue are you seeing? Can you clarify specifically what is happening on your instance?

Ste

Anna V. April 30, 2022

same issue

0 votes
Anna V. April 30, 2022

Same issue. We have a company managed Project, and we are unable to set up the lanes by stories so that we can see child-issues under each story lane. We went to board settings, selected swim-lanes, then chose "stories" from the drop down. Yet, in Board still looks like it's under "none" configuration, meaning it doesn't change the layout into "by stories". To confirm, the sorting does work for "by assignees". The end-goal we are trying to achieve is to see all sub-tasks on our board - we tried everything but nothing worked. P.S.

We have another project "team-managed" and there the"by story" configuration works perfectly. I think it's a bug on the Jira's software side..

Please assist.

Thank you!

Anna

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2022

Hi @Anna V. 

I tested this, and it works fine.

Have you tried some of the suggestions from the other answer? I would check these first:

Board

• Ensure the stories have sub-tasks. Stories with no sub-tasks do not become swimlanes. If no stories on the board have them, you'll have no swimlanes and just a normal set of stories on the board.
  • Ensure no Quick Filter is activate, which could hide the Sub-tasks. If they're all hidden, the swimlanes will disappear.

Board Settings

Access settings via Options (3-dots icon) > Board Settings.

• Ensure the sub-tasks aren't being blocked by the board's filter. Check under General...
    • Filter Query isn't excluding Sub-tasks. This doesn't specifically need to be "issuetype != Sub-task", it could be...
      • Using Epic Link, which is only relevant to stories
      • Filtering by a Label, which isn't on sub-tasks
      • Filtering by Statuses
      • ...etc
    • If this is a Kanban Board...
      • Check the Kanban board Sub-filter isn't excluding the sub-tasks
      • Check the Hide completed issues older than option isn't hiding sub-tasks (if they're all complete)
  • Check Columns - and ensure all the sub-tasks' Statuses are mapped to columns, if they differ to story statuses. Issues in unmapped Statuses will not appear on the board.

If none of these work, let us know more about your board's setup - including the filter query, column setup, etc.

Screenshots would be very beneficial here :)

Ste

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events