Swear words in captcha?

Sam Artuso
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
July 25, 2011

Hi,

today a workmate of mine typed a wrong password a couple of times and she got the captcha you can see below.

I wonder if it would be possible to prevent swear words from showing up...

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jeremy Largman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 26, 2011

The Captcha library that JIRA uses actually takes a section of one word, a section of another word and then tosses them together. This result is TOTALLY random and the odds of it happening again should be quite low. That said, I have submitted an improvement request: JRA-25191.

0 votes
Jonathan Fisher
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
March 4, 2014

I know this is an old thread but I'll revive it anyway. Swear words in randomly chosen captchas is one thing, I got an email today from atlassian with an intentional swear word in the heading: "Make your code reviews kick ass". Very unprofessional Atlassian.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 4, 2014

It's not really a swear-word to most, and even when it is seen as one, it's at the low end of the scale. In English (as opposed to American English), it's primary meaning is just "donkey", it really is not a swear word. We have another, very similar word which we use instead.

However, if you've found it offensive and would like to reprimand Atlassian, it's worth mentioning that we're just a community of end-users, not Atlassian, and I'd suggest taking it up with their marketing people.

I'm afraid you might not get very far though - if you're offended by one minor not-really-a-swearword, then please do not try an internet search for "Atlassian Values"

0 votes
David Yu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2011

Lol, I wonder how long this would take to reproduce if I clicked the refresh button.

JIRA uses jcaptcha so I imagine if you have some developer resources, you can tone down the cussing using these tips here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2555966/is-there-a-way-to-filter-out-offensive-words-from-jcaptcha

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2011

I've seen far worse like b****r and w****r in other captcha systems, although I don't think Americans use them a lot (and I don't really think of "female canines" as a swear word anyway, possibly due to having grown up with a vet in the family).

I think you'd need to dig out the dictionary and remove any words you find offensive

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2011

Lol, I also had something mildly offensive, think it was "poufs" ;-)

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events