Structuring projects & categories

NickW May 20, 2012

Hi All,

Sorry if this is JIRA 101 but being a newbie I have a couple of questions regarding set up.

Am am currently investigating the use of JIRA. In our current defect tracking system we have a structure like "ProjectName"-->many "Project Sub Areas"

so Project CAR has sub areas Wheels, Engines, Suspension

Am I correct in thinking that in JIRA this translates to Category = ProjectName (CAR) and

Project = ProjectSubAreas (Wheels, Engines, Suspension)?

If so can I still get bug information across all projects e.g. All open defects in a Category (CAR) by version (v3.2)? My assumption is yes... although.... Thinks... that implies a category has a version.. is that possible.. I am thinking perhaps not now? In which case how can I set up the JIRA project structure to allow me to capture and query such information?

Many thanks

Nick

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 20, 2012

Hi Nick,

I would use Components for that. A Project can have many Components. Every Component can have its own Component leader.

A Category cannot have a version, but a project does.

Best Regards

Thomas

Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2012

d*mn! FTW by 2 sec ;)

2 votes
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2012

Hi Nick,

I think having Cateogry = Project Name won't be the best solution. The best would be to have Project Name = Project and the Sub Areas would be the Components. That's how I'm using it.

http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Defining+a+Project#DefiningaProject-Components

Suggest an answer